• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Will 96 Ram and 99 Durango both 5.2 take full size PH8A size oil filter?

tallhair

Mod-Hair-ator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys,

Will 96 Ram and 99 Durango, both 5.2, take full size oil filter?

I assume there’s room. I have a couple of new in box older Fram PH8A filters I’d like to use to get them off the shelf.

One vehicle is 200k other 100K. Neither are driven much at all, like < 1K per year.

Will switch to Motorcraft or Wix or something in future.

Thanks for input.

Orin diameter is the same. itll work fine on the full size truck, not so much on the Durango. You're talking Fram numbers so I'll stay there for simplicity sake.
(NOT saying, whether I'd run Fram filters on my stuff or not) but that is an easy one to cross reference.

They had a PH43 that was shorter than an 8A.... that seems to be discontinued. and everything that used to call for a 43, switched to calling for a (shorter still) PH16. I myself, prefer the biggest filter that will fit the engine within that chassis.
2x a year the NAPA that I deal with at work, has a filter sale, the premium filter for the same price as they usually get for the el cheapo. I buy a case each sale for home. I have 4 vehicles that take the same filter.
Their filters are WIX. In WIX, the 1085 is the same as the Fram PH16 size wize. I get the 1068, which is the "in between" PH43 size. and I have a 96 Dakota 4wd, a 99 Dakota 2wd, and an 01 Durango 4wd. I have no problem getting the 1068 (or the PH43) on, but have trouble getting the filter wrench on when needed. Doable but barely.
I can barely get the 8A on, and absolutely have to use a strap wrench to get them off. Definitely cant get regular metal style filter wrench between frame and filter.

It’s been a year but I went ahead with a Motorcraft FL-1A last summer.

I just bought some FL500s for the Durango. I also have a strap wrench so may try a Fl~1A on the Durango if I can get it on and off.

Back