• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

wide tires on a 4x4?

79dodge4ever

Reaction score
I have an 1988 dakota that is 4x4, I will never use it in 4 wheel drive during the summer so my question is would it hurt the front differential running something like a 245/60/15 in the front and maybe a 295/50/15 in the rear if it would fit, if not 245/60/15's all way around. like all dakotas the front differential unlocks and so does the transfercase any opinions?

You'll be fine.

The 295 is only 0.1" bigger in circumference. It will turn one less turn per mile (758 vs. 759 for the 245). That's less than 0.1% difference.

Well just in case you should pull off the front driveshaft. I got the exact numbers as Reaper but since the back will have wider tires you should compensate the pressure. I guess since the difference in diameter is less than I thought it won't effect steering that much. If you were to put any taller tires in back the front tires would wear out faster. It shouldn't matter.

Well just in case you should pull off the front driveshaft. I got the exact numbers as Reaper but since the back will have wider tires you should compensate the pressure. I guess since the difference in diameter is less than I thought it won't effect steering that much. If you were to put any taller tires in back the front tires would wear out faster. It shouldn't matter.

but where the front end completely disengages from the transfer case and the transfer case goes into 2wd would that not be enough? these dakotas are a little harder pulling the driveshaft on compared to a D150 half ton

If your dakota is an awd model this should not be done and even a reg. 4wd it is not advisable. Tires on a 4wd drive should all be the same diameter in size. If you're going to do it anyway, yes, pull the front drive shaft.

Back