• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Who loves the Cummins diesel's in dodge ram's

tbofram

Reaction score
i love Cummins diesel's engines. when i moved too the UK in 2005 i brought my 1997 dodge ram 1500 sport (it used to have 1 5.3 V8 in it)and we put a nice Cummins diesel in it. all the people in the town think it's a monster. i love it when you can just be doing 10 or something and then put your foot down and go zooming down the road with a huge black cloud of smoke coming from the exaust and white smoke coming from the tires and the dodge would get more looks then a ferrari coming through the town. amazing trucks they are

Love my Cummins. In fact, I bought the Cummins and the Dodge came with it! After pulling my camper with a gas motor, I knew that I wanted something with a little more ump before we tackled a trip out through the mountains of the western US. Add in the exhaust brake and it was a simple decision to upgrade to the Cummins. While the 6.7 did initially have teething issues with all the Bluetech junk, knock on wood, my 09 has performed flawlessly.

i love Cummins diesel's engines. when i moved too the UK in 2005 i brought my 1997 dodge ram 1500 sport (it used to have 1 5.3 V8 in it)and we put a nice Cummins diesel in it. all the people in the town think it's a monster. i love it when you can just be doing 10 or something and then put your foot down and go zooming down the road with a huge black cloud of smoke coming from the exaust and white smoke coming from the tires and the dodge would get more looks then a ferrari coming through the town. amazing trucks they are

More details man! Which motor? 4bt? 5.9? Did you have to strengthen the front frame? Did you use a donor truck? Any pics?

Best truck I've ever driven. 25mpg on a regular day with a full load of tools, and I still have better acceleration than any little rice rocket I've owned. Love it

Have a friend who has one, great truck. We took it to Canada towing a 21 foot boat with gear for 5 guys fishing for a week. It did a great job, no problems what so ever with it.

I do..I got to drive my friends with six speed tranny...took me a day to learn the clutch and gear pattern but boy oh boy can it haul...

IMG00735-20110520-1113.jpg

My 47,000mi, 01 HO cummins has been sitting for over a year, charged the batteries & plugged in the block heater for a few hours and it took maybe 3/4 of a revolution & it fired right up. I've only run a few gallons of the "ultra low sulfer" fuel thru it. I need to get some addative in the fuel to keep the pump & seals lubricated! Ran it for over an hour and 20 miles. One of these days I'll put plates back on it, now that the cost of the plates & insurance has dropped because of it's age.

i own 2 of them a 90 ctd and an 82 1/2 ton that i installed a 97 5.9 ctd in. raced mopars for 12 years late 60s early 70s. been driving this 82 for about 7 years tuning and tweaking on an off. have had more fun with this truck than all 4 race cars.

got a 95 with tweeked pump, billet convertor and love how it pulls my 24' car hauler. Truck rides good for a 4x4 but the extented cab and 8' bed helps

get 19-20 mpg without trailer

will be replacing it this year, doubt I ever by another diesel, just cannot justify it, rarely tow the trailer any more. The cost of fuel and maintenance plus the stupid sh*t. bypassed the TPS with potenteomiter (ok misspelled) still did the same stupid crap Drove all the way to Florida from Indy when the converter started to unlock then lock back, slow down to 68 everything OK, Coming home hooked up bypass and thought alls good, in Tenn. it started again, BULLSH*T, there can be so many things to cause this I'm told. It is my vacation vehicle, sits in barn most of the year, does fine around town. Guys have told me they can fix it but have to get it to do it 1st, I tell them what are they going to do, drive it to Florida?

The engine has 135,000 miles and should last forever, the rest of it, time to go.

Actually I tell everyone that is thinking of buying a diesel "do you really need it?" most people don't need one. if you are on the road a lot, towing weekly or heavy loads, you need a diesel. If you are just driving it around town or never towing why do you need it?

My 2 Cents

I will never own another gas truck this is my second cummins my first i used in my hotshot busness this one is my daily driver and my wife and i love it, i get 15 mpg in town. Yes fuel is 3.81 gal. here today,oil changes are pricy even doing it your self,parts are expensive but if i need to haul something heavy and large [i'm still in the marine industry] i don't have to hunt around for a truck,i got 157,000 miles and going strong. I have been kicking around the idea of buying another used one, why i'm not sure, i don't need it but i love them.

I'm with you Lou3500,I will never buy a truck with a gas engine or a diesel with an automatic transmission. I love my diesels!!

Oh i gotta have my automatic [not a stick type of guy] unless i find a killer deal it can be a stick,my 98 was a good deal when i bought it 64,000/17k, took 5 years but i finally found it in 2001 the only issue was it was white [i hate white] but i have left it alone paint job is still great.

Back