• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Who drives their restored truck in the snow?

jumbreit

Reaction score
When my Lil Red is done next year, I plan on it being a daily driver, even in the Wisconsin winter. I have it apart and getting prepped for paint next spring, so I'm wondering if there's anything extra I can do to keep the rust at bay? Are there any areas I can give a little more attention to?

Or am I just asking for rust issues if I drive it in the salt and snow?

What good Is a truck if a person isn't willing to drive it in all weather? Restored or not

Invest in an automatic car wash and drier. For what we put into these things have often wondered why not have one at home.

First off , are you talking about driving it in the middle off a blizzard or just driving it year round ? I can tell you first hand that this truck "will" be interesting in the snow to say the least . Back when I had mine , it was a daily driver with the small block as well as with the big block and I used to run 33" mudders on the back of mine during the winter for two reasons . One to cut the 3:55's down a little as well for the aggressive tread and it was still a little bit of a hand full . But if your an experienced driver then you should be able to get used to it and know how to handle it . Another thing you might want to think about is not how you can drive in the snow but how other people can drive in it . Or should I say "think" they can drive in the bad weather . I'd hate to hear that after all this work that someone that shouldn't be on the road in nice weather let alone in the snow just totaled your truck because they didn't have a clue . In that case pick yourself a winter beater . Either way if you plan on driving it year round then undercoat the crap out of it now while it's apart . Don't just do the floors and such , do the inside of the fender wear there known to rust out . Like inside the lower fenders and above the wheel well lip's . Also do inside your rear step fenders as well as inside your doors . I can't remember what paint you used for the frame but make sure that it's a good hard paint like an epoxy paint that's made to take a beating . Pay extra attention to inside the frame rail wear your gas tank runs . Everything has a habit of getting stuck up and in there . Maybe you can mask it off and even shoot some under coating there as well and once the gas tank is in you'll never see it .

Thanks Bear. The last part was the info I was looking for. As a born and bred Wisconsinite I grew up in the country driving rear-wheel-drive vans in this stuff...often times when I shouldn't have. I did POR15 on the frame then just spray painted over that.

I like the idea of getting under the steps and inside the areas where the tank is.

Your very welcome . I've had to deal with New England winters / and drivers myself for more years then I care to count . lol Believe me I've grown to know were all the problem area's are on these trucks because of the snow and salt . As far as the other drivers go ? I plow for a living so I'm out in weather that most people ( If they were smart ) would just stay home and wouldn't even think about driving in . But unfortunately for me they are out driving in it . lol

I have been to Mass. Do not believe I would want to drive a snow plow there.

Neither do I ! lol I plow the parking lots for a pretty big hospital and I have to go threw a pretty bad part of town to just get there and it's always interesting going to work and the fun doesn't stop even after I'm there . I could tell you some stories that would either make you laugh or just say " what the "BLEEP ! " " .

I usually wash the bottom of the truck and under the frame to get rid of the salt and grime .and spray a mix of used engine oil/used atf/ diesel on the frame and the exposed body works fine.

Last edited:
I usually wash the bottom of the truck and under the frame to get rid of the salt and grime .and spray a mix of used engine oil/used atf/ diesel on the frame and the exposed body works fine.
You do know atf will remove paint.

yes but the the truck was not paint under done this on a b350 van and it looks nice . rust free

I have or 1/2 mile of limestone to get to pavement. With lubricants sprayed all over the under carriage I can only imagine the mess and moisture trap in short order.

I wouldnt. Limited slip is a real challenge on icy highways. My 80 power wagon with a sure grip in 2wd is terrifying in any snow covered road. I added weight,huge mistake! It would go in a straight line, wouldnt turn and hard to stop. So,good studded tires on all 4 corners and i hope you arent dealing with any hills.
Im in manitoba, i know what winter is all about. When i added the plow to that truck, it would barely move in 2wd.new 35"dunlop rvxt's were great-in 4wd.

Find a beater, save the good truck for pleasure.please save it....

My unrestored but no rust original owner 92 D150 s/b 2wd stays in the garage or enclosed trailer for the winter and doesn't see rain unless stuck in it while out. My 08 H.Q.C. isn't driven daily and only used to tow my race car and get around when it snows a lot even then it is taken to a car wash that does underneath asap. I recently repainted the frame with black Rustoleam and the holes above the wheels in the inner fender have been filled with silicone sealant to keep the moisture out so it doesn't rust like so many trucks like mine have there.

IMG_0260.jpg

Not a drain hole , on each side there are three oblong holes in the inner fender that are open to the outer fender these are the holes I filled with silicone sealant

IMG_0108.JPG

I am usually surrounded by white stuff....but I don't think it's called snow.

:rolleyes:

Back