1. Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dismiss Notice

What's the best pick for my first welder?

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussions' started by K-Note72, Sep 5, 2018.

1. K-Note72

K-Note72Well-Known Member

Like the title says, I'm new to welding and gonna need to get A LOT of practice in before I do any autobody work, so I'll be looking for a welder soon. I did a little research, and got the impression that:
    • MIG and TIG are the most widely used, but TIG is supposed to be more difficult
    • MIG boils down to gas and gasless(flux-core wire) systems
    • Gas MIG is the go-to for doing sheet metal and autobody, and flux-core just burns right thru or warps the metal
    • Flux core works better in outdoors or windy environments, on jobs that don't involve thin metal
    The problem with the gas systems is they're so spendy. Does anybody know of a decent gas MIG that isn't gonna cost me more than my car?

2. HALIFAXHOPS

HALIFAXHOPSBeerening at its best!

Tell you the truth my buddy got a gas mig from HF and I actually like using it works really well.

3. K-Note72

K-Note72Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know what model it was?

4. 65 sporty

65 sportyWell-Known Member

If you have never welded you are going to want a MIG, MIG you can weld thinner steel than flux core. I just read that MIG will do down to 24 gauge sheet metal, flux core only 20 gauge sheet metal. You still have to watch your amperage with either or you can warp or burn through thin metal. Wire diameter matters also as far as thickness of material to be welded. MIG is so easy to learn, just get some scrap and practice.

5. HALIFAXHOPS

HALIFAXHOPSBeerening at its best!