• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What size tires will fit?

Lomax

Reaction score
I inherited my grandfathers 2001 dodge 1500 4x4 pickup. The truck is pretty beat cosmetically but is mechanically sound. I was thinking about putting a 5 inch suspension lift on it. Everyone I read about says will only clear a 35 inch tire but I know larger has to be able to fit. I had an 01 1500 4x4 years ago with 33 inch tires on it with no lift. So it doesn't make sense to me that with 5 more inches of lift on a 2 inch taller tire will work. Anybody got any input on this?
-Will

I have a 2001 ram 1500 I installed a 2 1/2 lift I'm planning 33 inch tires. 35 inch tires will fit BUT they will rub in turns and forget about going off roading they will hit everywhere. With a 5 inch lift 37s will probly fit but the same results rubbing and hitting fenders. If the body's rough why not cut the fenders to clear bigger tires or install a 3 inch body lift with the lift kit. I know it don't make sense till you start looking at the axle travel and the articulation of the suspension while off roading then it becomes clear!!!

I offraoded mine with 33's at stock height. I didn't go nuts but I would do some 2nd gear bouncing around in the mud and didn't have any rubbing issues

The rams came with two heights, the Sports and regular SLTs 4x4's would clear 33's but they rub on the lower trailing arms at full lock. The OFF ROAD trucks suspension had 2 inches of extra lift from the factory those trucks could run 33's with no problem. I have been reading quite a bit on this subject since this is the first 4x4 I have owned with coil spring front suspension. When you lift these as you go up the front axle travels back towards the back of the fender well [every 2 inch of lift is roughly 3/4 of an inch back] so that's why they recommend 33" for 3 inch lift and 35" for 5 inch lifts, it's also why they supply longer trailing arms with most kits. I have decided to run 305/70/16s on mine [I don't off road].

Just my two cents but I agree with everything lou say's . I run a 5" suspension lift on my 97 Sport 1500 and I've tried 37's on it and they fit but you just can't turn the wheel . lol The biggest tire I can run without any issues ( or cutting ) are 35's .

Back