• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What is the best engine for a 2000 to 2010 full size pick-up

ToeJoe

Reaction score
I do not know if this belongs here or not, if it does not belong here you may move it where it belongs

I am looking to buy a 2000 to 2010 Full Size Pick-Up and would like to know which engine is the best 6 cyl engine that has the best track record of the less amount of trouble and repairs?

If you could tell me which engine is the best performance in Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC and Toyota?

Which engine will get 300,000 miles and is solid as a rock trouble free.

Do you feel that there are very solid Full Size Pick-Up out there in these years ?

I keep all my vesicles in top running conduction.

For what I consider full sized the Cummins diesel would be the only way to go. But for you it maybe overload.

Well if you are wanting that kind of miles with minimal repairs a Cummins is the only way to go and get good fuel mileage bonus

Yeah, what they said. If you plan on hauling a lot, or a lot of heavy stuff, the Cummins is what I'd go for. I'm hoping to find a early 90's to early 2000's Cummins powered tow rig.

I don't need that big of outfit for I am a homeowner that needs a Full Size truck to haul thing once in a while and if a V-8 is a very good engine that is the way I'd go. Good mileage long engine life and NO break downs.
I know there are engines out there that are noted to be very bad and blow-up with very little mileage on them and that is what I want to stay away from, but I do not know my engines as which ones they are, so I came here for your help. Ford, Chevy and Dodge what are there worst engines V-6 or V-8 and which are their very best engines that will give you long life, dependable with NO engine trouble history.

I've had a 94 Ram with a 318 that had 252,000 on it before a 360 went in. The 318 went into a Jeep trail rig with no modification and is still going strong. My cuurent 98 has a 360 with around 230,000 and has had no issues. It was used for hauling rock nd a goose neck full of rock and such. I had 3 yards of river rock in it and it was squatting pretty bad, but it's fine. As long as you maintain them, as you say you do, they are all pretty reliable, it just comes down to what you prefer for a brand.

My son has a 2000 Dodge long bed 1/2 ton with a 3.9 V-6, automatic with a/c in it. It has a little over 330,000 miles on it and still runs good. It's not as strong as it used to be but it starts every time and drives great, and will still haul a good load in the bed... even with a/c on.

If looking for a 1/2 ton 6 cylinder any of the above if maintained get you to what you are looking for.
All i can say about Chevy and GMC is that I know a few assembly plant people that will never own one and they do own and drive trucks.
If I were looking for a truck in that year range engines would be second on the list. Are you going to have a primary purpose for this machine other than an occasional haul or will it sit most of the time?

I'm not sure on the Ford deal (I have nothing GOOD to say about Ford), seeing what my Step-Son just went through and is still fighting through on their Powerchoke/Noisestroke Diesel..... Thing is JUNK in my book, Altho, Chevy, has something with the Duramax, (This being said by a MOPAR guy too!) BUT gasoline engines, I'm not with it on Chevy, OR Ford for that matter, speaking Trucks, Dodge ALL the way!

ANY full-size truck, (I'm sorry guys) MUST/SHOULD have a V-8, or Diesel...... As far as Diesel goes, the 5.9L Cummins is a sure way to see 500,000 PLUS, and get good power, and lots of torque, and last with half decent mileage..... IF not the road-worthy 5.9L Cummins, then I'd go with the 5.7L Hemi, in a 1500, but the better choice from what I can see would be the 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi -Stronger truck, heavier, gets not bad mileage, and is almost as strong as the 5.9L Cummins Diesel!

With Dodge however, depending on the truck, 1500, 2500, or 3500, they offer 2 different diesels by Cummins, the 5.9L and the 6.7L. I don't think you can get the 6.7L in anything under a 2500 (I'm guessing here) as thats one strong engine! BUT I know 2017, they're to offer the 5.9L in the 1500...... As a towing package..... Or I read that this is gonna be available!

BUT, for what your looking for, I'm merely mentioning "new" stuff, so if your going to the older Rams..... 5.2L Magnum "318" is a 250,000 mile engine plus. if taken care of, it go a lot longer. and then the 5.9L Magnum "360" is a good one too, but out of the 2 of these? I'd pick the 5.2L Magnum, its dedicated, its worthy, and has a good reputation, and for its power, gets decent mileage. The 5.9L Magnum "360" doesn't get much over the 5.2L and uses a bit more fuel then its little brother the 5.2L..... THEN you have to look and see when the 5.2L Magnum was replaced (I forget) by the 4.7L Magnum..... And I hear good things about that engine as well!

SO in say 2000, I'd find a Ram, 1500, with a 5.2L in it and see how its been maintained, and go from there.....

AND being a truck kinda guy that I am. OLDER Dodge trucks would do well with a Slant 6 in them...... BUT thats up to you..... That is, my ONLY 6 cylinder truck, I'd EVER own! Full-Size trucks with 6 cylinders in the same sentence does NOT belong! -UNLESS its hauling the 6 cylinder.....

If your doing light work with it, Dodge with a Hemi or Chevy with a 5.3LS. Heavy work and towing, Dodge with a Cummins or Chevy with a Duramax.

Back