• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

what headers for a big block 74 Custom

74_440_4X4

Reaction score
I recently bought a 74' Dodge 4X4 with a 440 (Killer deal $1,600). Anyhow the first thing i wanted to do to it is put a nice set of headers on it. I was thinking 2 3/4" or even 3" does anyone have any suggestion on which brand and poss. model numbers. I am looking to shop around and was hoping to find them at a resonable price.

Thank you

No offence to Chuckie but "NO" , "NO" , "NO" ! "Hell NO" ! ..... Let me explain . First off , Look at the way this kit is designed . You've got your headers coming down into a flex pipe collector , into a muffler that's barely going to fit with an L pipe coming out in front of the rear wheels . Both sides are going to have to be run at a downward angle from the collector back to be able to get under the frame rails . Not to mention that on the drivers side your more then likely going "right" under your fuel tank . Do you "really" like that idea ? Now about the big block Mopar truck Summit headers themselves . That's what the previous owner put on my 440 Warlock before I got it . All I can say is "don't do it" . The only good point about them is that they fit around the frame well . But as far as there design in clearing the spark plugs ? There isn't any . After trying to clearance the headers while they were still in the truck I decided to just pull them right out and do it off the motor , and if you've never done headers in a big block truck before then let me just say it's not fun . I had to clearance "all" 8 tubes to clear the plug wires and two of them just to clear the plugs themselves . The only reason why there still on my Warlock is that I'm waiting to sell my Dart and then I'm buying a different set all together and installing them this winter . Maybe even with a set of electric cut outs .

That last post got a little long so I thought I'd address the original question in a separate post . If money isn't an issue then I've heard that the TTI headers fit very well . But they are a little pricey . On the 440 lil red that I built years ago I ran Headman headers . They are a lot cheaper then the TTI's . The only issue I had with the Headman's was that one tube on the drivers side was a little close to the frame but it was an easy fix . Those are the one's I'm thinking of getting for the 440 Warlock I have now . No matter what header you get , and even though I ran a full size starter on my lil red , I would recommend getting a mini starter for it as well . ... Just one guy's opinion . Or should I say "opinion's" ? lol

Just some helpful hints for when you do go to put headers on your truck . On the drivers side you will have to pull your brake booster and master , the starter ( recommend replacing with a mini ) and unbolt both mounts . You won't have to pull the mounts but you do have to unbolt them . Jack that side of the motor up as far as you can go and they go in from the top . The passenger side is a little easier . Unbolt that mount and loosen the drivers side and jack that side up and let the engine shift a little while in place . I've been able to pull and install that side from the bottom . Obviously pull all eight plugs and don't forget to mark your wires . Good luck and let us know how it go's when you do get them done .

i just put a set of hookers on my 440 trail duster and it was pie....they fit great and only costed 225$

the 440 i put in my trail duster was out of a camper so it had the tiny plugs and there is plenty room around em...my boots will prolly get hot but that's with any header..i just recently put a set of summit headers on a small block d 100 and fit was horrible!i told the guy to get hookers but he came in with those summit's....i knew i was in for a treat.for the money i think hooker is hard to beat....hedman elite is another very good fitting header,but they're pricey and they aren't offered for big block dodge truck.

also the mini starter fits with the hookers!

Last edited:
IMG_3007.jpgIMG_3009.jpgYah , With the motor home heads I think you have more clearance with the plugs . You would think a simple thing like spark plug clearance would be straightened out in the design of the headers . But noooooo ! lol Might not be the greatest picture but here's an idea of what I had to do to my headers on the Warlock . I'm just lucky I had another big block on the engine stand . Otherwise it would have been in and out of the truck a few times . ........... Over the years of running headers on almost everything I've owned , I've found using the mini starters almost a must now . There away from the heat of the tubes , easier install's , and if you ever have to pull or change the starter at any time , It makes it a whole lot easier . Hell , I even run one on my Ramcharger and that don't even have headers . "yet" lol

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

i run headers and mini starters on everything too,and always have(since the early 90s anyway)....my new hookers have dimples for the plugs like the ones you've put in yours.

maybe they did address the problem with the plugs.i can remember having to put the plugs in my 440 challenger with a plug socket and 13/16 box wrench and the plug was just about touching the header.p.i.a.!

Yah , The mini's definitely make life a lot easier . I think they draw less current over the older style as well . I'm just glad I had that 383 on the engine stand when it came time to work the headers for my truck though . R & R'in headers on a big block truck isn't fun to begin with . After marking all the tubes , I heated the area's with a torch and indented them with a piece of steel pipe and a hammer . I didn't want them to look like I just pounded the crap out of them with a sledge . Like I've seen so many other headers were done .

Back