1. Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dismiss Notice

What dictates the duty rating of a trucks' suspension, 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton etc?

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussions' started by Rodewaryer, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Rodewaryer

RodewaryerRodewaryer

I just did the front brakes on my Land Rover a few days back and honestly I'm still recovering. It was about an 18 hr day on that, as there was SO much more involved than on a car. The rotors were bolted to carriers meaning the bearings etc all had to be removed to replace the rotors. The closeup pic showing the bolt, there were two with washers then the bearings (not exactly light duty looking either) behind that. Part of the crazy time was running for more stuff, mainly bearings which at 130K mi seemed the right thing to do. I wonder if all trucks front brakes are like this (I was a car guy long before I got into Land Rovers) or if this is a sign of it being heavier duty than say a 1/2 ton Pickup.

96 Front brake job set up.JPG

96 Front brake job2.JPG

View attachment 11761

View attachment 11760

View attachment 11761

96 Front brake job.JPG

2. LocuMob

LocuMobFluid Technician

Yeah, from brakes on a 4wd can be more complex than one might anticipate. I have to rebuild the front end in my Ram and I'm putting it off for the 3rd year in a row. Poor truck doesn't get much use now. Did you have any sort of manual or did you just wing it? Gotta love the feeling of new bearings and brakes!

3. 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

Not sure how Land Rover does load ratings. There should be load rating lb kg on a tag some where.
    If you have to take it down that far might as well do everything and save the hassle of doing it again later.
    Looks like it was a fun job.

4. 65 sporty

65 sportyWell-Known Member

If you look at most trucks and compare the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton you will find the brakes, bearings and most suspension pieces get larger as the weight rating goes up. The rover stuff doesn't look any beefier than a 1/2 ton

5. Rodewaryer

RodewaryerRodewaryer

Interestingly, I have had experienced mechanics say it looks build like 3/4-1 ton trucks. Hence my asking. I get how springs and load capacity are basic rating purpose but the drivetrain has other stuff beefier as well and that's what stuck in my head after hearing unsolicited comments from experienced mechanics (one that own 3/4 ton diesels) say things like that.