• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vacuum Sux

multimopes

Reaction score
Howdy,
I have a 99 Dodge 1500 sport with a 5.2 auto 4wd. When I push the throttle hard or go up a long hill, my air box, dampers and such, change and/or shut off until I let up. Is there a missing vacuum can or reservoir somewhere that maybe ain't there anymore? Maybe is it just a vacuum leak? It's starting to get cold out now so if I have to delve in I would rather do it before I freeze my nutz off!

I believe there is a check valve in the vacuum hose going to the heater, don't remember if it's on the engine near the throttle body or closer to the firewall near the PCM.

Thank you both for the info. I have never heard of a check valve on a vehicle vacuum system before. Also, I am pretty sure my Haynes manual won't show it. I have a factory manual on CD that might though. The truck was 16 years old when I bought it and had been in accident some time before that. The left front fender was replaced and the bumper and trim also. It is a Sport model and the bumper they put on it was from the standard model. I have seen vacuum storage canisters on some vehicles years back, looked like a large plastic toilet float. What these check valves look like is a mystery to me as of yet but I will definitely look into it. Maybe there is a video of one on U-tube. Thanks again for the tip.:)

Thanks, I will delve into it as soon as I can. It isn't a big deal, more of a curiosity. I have probably seen a bunch of them over the years and paid them no mind. I have seen things similar to what you describe in pneumatic building controllers. I though they were called restrictors
but there were many varieties.

You were right. I checked my factory cd and sure enough, they are there in the engine compartment. There is one going into the intake manifold and one not far from there at a vacuum tee. There is also a vacuum reservoir under the cowl plenum. I haven't checked the reservoir yet as it got dark and colder. I should be good to go. I am currently on the midnight shift and sleeping during the day but at least I am knocking on the door. Hopefully I will get to it before winter sets in. Thanks again!

Should be something like this.
upload_2016-11-7_22-17-12.png

That's them, about as big around as a dime. Easy to get at also, not buried under everything. The next trick is to find where I can get some replacements. I doubt that they are available in the aftermarket, Napa, etc...but I could be wrong. The last difficulty was trying to get a tiny light bulb for the A/C control on my 05 Neon. Went to 2 dealers, no soap, and none in the aftermarket at all. Had to scour a bone yard. Same deal with this truck. It is a Sport model witch has a different fascia than standard. They put a conventional bumper on it after the accident and I installed factory replacement fog lights. Tried to order the (plug-in) wiring harness and it is no longer available, anywhere. Not without buying the whole shootin match for over $100. Went to several bone yards and after 3 different yards, one on over 100 acres had just one,"the wrong one", so had to adapt it. If they are available, probably made in China and color coded backwards with no orientation directions. Thanks Sporty!

Well - Surprise, surprise, surprise; I just checked Napa and Advance Auto and they both either have them or can get them overnight. I guess I'll jus hafta eat my own shorts! :wtf:

That's them, about as big around as a dime. Easy to get at also, not buried under everything. The next trick is to find where I can get some replacements. I doubt that they are available in the aftermarket, Napa, etc...but I could be wrong. The last difficulty was trying to get a tiny light bulb for the A/C control on my 05 Neon. Went to 2 dealers, no soap, and none in the aftermarket at all. Had to scour a bone yard. Same deal with this truck. It is a Sport model witch has a different fascia than standard. They put a conventional bumper on it after the accident and I installed factory replacement fog lights. Tried to order the (plug-in) wiring harness and it is no longer available, anywhere. Not without buying the whole shootin match for over $100. Went to several bone yards and after 3 different yards, one on over 100 acres had just one,"the wrong one", so had to adapt it. If they are available, probably made in China and color coded backwards with no orientation directions. Thanks Sporty!
Had the same issues with grandaughters PT they want you to replace the whole dash cluster when replacing the ckeck engine light.
You all know cutting that little sucker out is supposed to correct error codes. That was a joke. Robbed an unused light from the cluster and put ir in so it is yellow now instead of red but it works.

Great that's hot!
Atsa nice! I could sure use a beer myself right now; too bad I'm at work Halifax, thank you!
And I hear ya loud and clear there 7. Don't worry, in the very near future we won't even have to change the oil. When service is needed, we will just throw the vehicle out and buy a new one. Since the coming thing is trusting your life to a vehicle that drives itself; I just hope that mine comes equipped with a hemorrhoid monitor so it can record my last bowel movement right before the computer controlled collision!:nailbiting:

I had a 97 1500 in the shop yesterday, the ck valves on it were located one at the pass side of intake on a vacuum tee and the other in the vacuum line at the pass side firewall in front of the a/c accumulator. Check them by sucking through it will only go the one way. Good luck.

Happy Ending,
Checked both valves and the one at the intake was bad. Got 2 of them from Napa, $5 each. They did not directly fit but I made it work. Replaced, test drove and good to go. Incidently, I did call a dealer and they are still available, but are a new type, and cost approx. $22 each! Thanx again and a hat tippo for the help!

:D

Back