• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tuning a 360 TBI

Power Wagon 440X4

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I need to know what the timing is on a 90 360 TBI engine.
Also is there anything I need to disconnect to set the timing?
I know you disconnect the vac advance line when doing a carbed engine.
Is there a method to setting the timing on a 90 360 TBI?

First off , I have to ask . Why are you messing with the timing on a TBI engine ? Those are computer controlled and in my opinion shouldn't be messed with unless you've had the distributor out and then you mark them so they go back in in the same position .

If you do have to mess with the timing for some reason then on a dodge TBI engine with the engine warmed up, the 2 wire coolant sender disconnected and idle at 700/750 rpm. set to 10* before TDC and leave it alone. shut off, tighten the distributor down and re connect the coolant temp sensor. then you should be good to go.

I have had the distributor out to replace the pick up unit.
I did put it back the way it came out and its set at 10 BTC.

When I originally set the timing I didnt know about the disconnect of the coolant sensor.
That was my main question about having to disconnecting something or nothing.

Thanks for the info Bear.

No problem , with these trucks I try and leave the distributor as close as where the factory had them because of the computer .

I have had the test can attached to the 93 3.9 and as long as the hei picks up a signal on number 1 the timing never chages. No enhancing timing that way.

I have had the test can attached to the 93 3.9 and as long as the hei picks up a signal on number 1 the timing never chages. No enhancing timing that way.
With the magnum 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9 you have to use a scan tool and set the dist sync.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to get to that part of the scammer or if its even possible. Would probably just make a mess of things anyway. Just interpeting live data can be a confusing pain in it self.

If you do have to mess with the timing for some reason then on a dodge TBI engine with the engine warmed up, the 2 wire coolant sender disconnected and idle at 700/750 rpm. set to 10* before TDC and leave it alone. shut off, tighten the distributor down and re connect the coolant temp sensor. then you should be good to go.

I could not believe how much the timing mark dropped down after pulling the coolant sensor plug off.
I set it up to 10 BTC and it made a huge difference, it runs so smooth and has the power it should have.

I also set my 91 5.2 that way and it made the same improvements.

It says on my hood sticker that the timing for a 5.2 is 10 BTC for a automatic.
Does a 360 have the same timing settings as a 318?

I could not believe how much the timing mark dropped down after pulling the coolant sensor plug off.
I set it up to 10 BTC and it made a huge difference, it runs so smooth and has the power it should have.

I also set my 91 5.2 that way and it made the same improvements.

It says on my hood sticker that the timing for a 5.2 is 10 BTC for a automatic.
Does a 360 have the same timing settings as a 318?
If it runs good and doesn't ping leave it at 10

If it runs good and doesn't ping leave it at 10
It doesn't ping and starts at the first hit of the key.

Its just hard to believe that a 318 and 360 have the same timing settings.
I just don't have a book to confirm it for a 90 360 TBI engine.

And yet another satisfied customer ! ;) lol Glad to hear everything worked out for you .

Another thing I noticed when unplugging the coolant sensor,
Not only did the idle drop down, the engine smoothed out,
and when I plugged it back in, it idled rough, this is after the resetting of the timing.
I replaced the sensor and it continued to run smooth after plugging it back in.

This is was done on the 91, I drove it last night and passing gear set me back in the seat.
It is a 180 degree difference then the way it was.

Another thing I noticed when unplugging the coolant sensor,
Not only did the idle drop down, the engine smoothed out,
and when I plugged it back in, it idled rough, this is after the resetting of the timing.
I replaced the sensor and it continued to run smooth after plugging it back in.

This is was done on the 91, I drove it last night and passing gear set me back in the seat.
It is a 180 degree difference then the way it was.
That's got to make you feel better!

Update. the 91 318 is idling rough and when I unplug the coolant sensor it smooths out.
I replaced the coolant sensor stated in the above post.
Is there some other sensor that is in conjunction with the coolant sensor?
It has all new plugs,wires,cap,rotor, PCV Valve,map sensor,TPS and TB base gasket.
All the vacuum lines have been replaced.
Can the idle speed actuator cause this?

The 360 is running excellent and idles smooth,
that's why I cant figure out why the 91 318 isn't doing the same.

Last edited:
Sounds like either the new sensor is defective or you might have a short somewhere .

Back