• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Truxedo TruXport Tonneau or similar cover?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a topper on my 96 Dakota and it's a pain to haul yard waste and furniture and the like and I'm thinking about a roll up cover. Anybody have one or another model that works better? I have a fiberglass hard cover on my 2000 Dakota but it is a pain to use the box too. Help! http://tonneaucoversworld.com/truxedo-truxport.aspx
tmm

I have an either Larado Access brand or Access Larado I forget which, that is similar to that which I like the best out of all the bed covering options I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few different ones except for a topper. The one I have is a bit nicer, lower profile, and both side locks manipulate at the same time. But I am pretty sure the Truexedo brand is a lot more affordable than the one I have.

Yep, I saw those. They look top of the line for sure but a little spendy for my old 96'. lol tmm

Got my Truxedo in today. I hope to put it on this weekend. I will post photos a and a play by play. tmm

Well I got my topper off today (it's for sale if you live close) and I got a nice surprise. Apparently the topper was installed when the truck was new and a chunk of green shag carpet lined the box floor. I took the topper off and pulled the carpet and found a virgin box floor. The wheel tubs and the inside box sides are scuffed a bit but the floor is prefect. The Truxedo is a nice tonneau cover but the model that is supposed to fit the 96 and older Dakotas doesn't fit quite right. This wouldn't stop me from buying one or one for a different year truck. I can see why it doesn"t fit quite right. Most of these products are designed for Chevy or Ford and if it fits Mopar that's what we get. The 96 and older boxes are a bit wider and a shade longer than your run of the mill S10 or Ranger. The Truxedo doesn't cover the stake pockets on the sides and if you shift the unit rearward to seal on the tailgate it just about doesn't seal on the box front panel. I jiggled and measured and split the difference and got it good. It probably won't be 100% watertight but it works well and looks good.

011.jpg

032.jpg

030.jpg

034.jpg

037.jpg

040.jpg

Last edited:
Could be made for 97 and later models too. I am not sure if its supposed to cover the stack pockets I know mine doesn't I think access tells you to fill them in but they don't really say how! So I just left them open. I get a little bit of water that comes in from the stack pocket holes but its pretty small. Plus I don't leave anything in my bed that isn't in some sort of protective case anyways. I basically just use mine to keep the honest, honest, by hiding what I am carrying around so people just can't walk by and pick anything out. Plus I like the look they give a truck and you can roll them out of the way easy to haul stuff. My 97 Dakota had a hard shell tonneau that was the same color as the truck it was sharp as hell looking and locked down securely, but it was a pain in the ass to haul anything big in!

I'm with ya there. My 2000 has a hard shell that I took off shortly after I bought the truck. I couldn't haul anything but damn it looked good. LOL

Well, I've had the Truxedo for about 10 days now and I like it. It looks good when closed and is a snap (or un snap) to open. LOL One thing I miss from the ol' topper is the interior lights shining into the box when it's dark. The topper had a light in the back but was never hooked up. Well, I fixed that problem. I sell a cordless led light that has a couple magnets on the back (and a hook too) that works great for a box light. I just stuck it on the upright near the tailgate. When I need light, just push the button or pull it off and use it as a trouble light as needed. Works great! tmm

bedlite 001.jpg

bedlite 007.jpg

Pretty sweet! You need rubber bed mat now so stuff doesn't slide around on you! Is that light battery powered?

Yep. 3 aa's. I wish it was rechargeable but it's not. Yep, a bed mat would be good. tmm

toolmanmike Looks good, I've been thinking about getting one for my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 too, I saw a very interesting one on Stacey David's "Gears" TV show, on a 2011 Ram 1500 Drag N' Wagon project & I wish I would have written down what brand it was, soft top & it had some cool hauling features too, with some sort of side channel & racks/rails, if you chose to take off the topper or just fold it back a few times, to haul taller or bigger stuff or take it completely off, it only took a few minutes... I think it was a Mopar brand tonneua cover.. that light is a great idea too, my 99 has a cargo light near the top of the cab above the window...

2011 Ram 1500 Drag N Wagon Stacey Davids Gears Project.jpg

2011 Ram 1500 Drag N Wagon Stacey Davids Gears Project #4.jpg

2011 Ram 1500 Drag N Wagon Stacey Davids Gears Project #3.jpg

2011 Ram 1500 Drag N Wagon Stacey Davids Gears Project #5 wheels.jpg

2011 Ram 1500 Drag N Wagon Stacey Davids Gears Project #2.jpg

Sonora 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.jpg

Last edited:
That's a cool one! I like Stacy David. He does some neat stuff and he's all about havin' fun. After having my Truxedo for a few months now I really like it.It looks good and it is so simple. Just roll it up!

Back