• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

trim factory studs

Ghostrider 67

Reaction score
So, I need to replace the bottom rear bed side behind the wheel well where the black and silver 4" molding runs. Once you remove the molding the white plastic clips slide sideways and then down, off of the little metal studs. The problem is the repair area includes the little bitty studs. So, once the new metal is welded on, how do I reinstall the 4" trim clips?

I'm sure it's something simple. Thanks.

PS. While i'm at it, what's the secret to removing the 3/4" wide polished trim at the top that goes all the way around the body?

You can do like I did and just pop rivet the clips back on. The other way involves buying a stud gun and replacing the studs. The top molding goes on these clips.
upload_2018-3-20_17-32-56.png

The easiest way is to press down on the top edge of the molding then pry out on the bottom edge with a putty knife or similar, probably pretty close to the way you got the bottom molding off. Just not quite as much give in the narrower clips. A word of warning though, the moldings that wrap around the end of the box can be a real beotch, you'll see when you start.

You can do like I did and just pop rivet the clips back on. The other way involves buying a stud gun and replacing the studs. The top molding goes on these clips.
View attachment 12767
The easiest way is to press down on the top edge of the molding then pry out on the bottom edge with a putty knife or similar, probably pretty close to the way you got the bottom molding off. Just not quite as much give in the narrower clips. A word of warning though, the moldings that wrap around the end of the box can be a real beotch, you'll see when you start.
Pop rivet I can do. So you say to push down on the narrow polished trim along the top of the fenders doors bed and tail gate and pull out on the bottom edge? Correct? I'm trying to be real sure about this because all of the trim is perfect.

Push down firmly and pry out on the bottom lightly, should pop off nicely. Like I said, the bed corner piece takes a little luck and foresight to do cleanly.

When pop riveting, make sure your clips are properly aligned first, and I'd drill for the rivets before painting, too.

Push down firmly and pry out on the bottom lightly, should pop off nicely. Like I said, the bed corner piece takes a little luck and foresight to do cleanly.

When pop riveting, make sure your clips are properly aligned first, and I'd drill for the rivets before painting, too.
Thanks for the tips. I'll take a whack at it tomorrow.

Back