• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission Range Sensor

justwondering

Reaction score
I just purchased a new transmission range sensor (neutral safety switch) for my 1997 Ford Powerstroke Diesel.

The one I received has a rectangular receiver for a connector. There are two banks of pins, one of 6 and one of 5.

I removed the transmission range sensor from my truck. It has a connector that is oval. There are two banks of flat looking spade ... 4 in each bank.

When I check online some descriptions have no indications of the number of pins.
Some indicate a total pin count.
All say they are a complete replacement.
There are two different shapes for the units - seems to coincide with the pin count. Course this could be manufacturer.

When I check on ebay, they also sell the unit but it seems to come with an adapter to change it from the rectangular unit to the oval connector on the truck.

Of course, it now appears I have the wrong one (11 pin not 8 pin).
What am I missing? Should I have removed the part first rather than depend on the catalog listings online? Feel like a real bonehead here.

After much research, it appears that the earliest made 1997's were wired the same as the 1996's and used the same 8 flat pin/oval connector, square transmission range sensor.

The 1997's made later use the 11 round pin/rectangular connector, rectangular transmission range sensor.

No way to tell without getting under the truck and looking at your range sensor. Its on the drivers side of the transmission.

Back