• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trans and tcase for 4x4 dakota with 400+hp

Mopardude

Reaction score
Ok have a 99 Dakota 4x4 chassis putting an older body on top, 5.2L, trans I don't know what model it is other than it is a computer controlled one with the solenoids that go bad, tcase is NP231D HD. More than likely I am going use a 360 that is in the 400-450hp range. At some point down the road I am going to do solid axle swap up front and upgrade the rear axle too, but for now those will remain stock. What options do I have that will hold up to the power of the 360? I do have a nv3500 that is matted to a NP231 D or O I can't read the letter to well. I have no preference if its manual or Auto I just unfamiliar with 4x4 setups.

5.2L usually were the start of heavier duty trans and transfers. Other than that have no idea. If your using the 99 engine and trans controller how tuneable is it at that hp level? Most did not support much over stock.

Yea I dunno I did some quick google searches of the tcase since that is the only thing I am sure of what it is. Doesn't seem to be to desirable. I have seen other dakota guys mention that what they used in the 1500 for trans and tcase is the same for dakota but I have not found that to be true or at least for the model year of 99.

I can't help help thinking I have a 5.2 and I have a nv3500 perfect match up. I can use the serpentine belt setup than that we have talked about in the other thread, many pluses all the round. The 2 things that are weighting strongly against this is I have this 360 that I built years ago when I had my Dart Sport, its a strong engine with low miles on the rebuild, plus I probably have 6K into the rebuild. Plus if I am building a 4x4 rig I want the low end torque a 360 or a 5.9 will provide.

Back