• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Timing mark question.

James Terry

Reaction score
I have a 81 Dodge pickup with a 68 318, I have found the notch on the HB, but cannot find the timing "scale " anywhere? Looked on passenger side and driver side. Is the timing scale tab bolted on(missing?) or is there a stamped or molded scale I cannot see?
I need to replace the distributor assembly because it wobbles and need to resolve this before I yank the distributor.

Distributor only goes in in one of two ways. Just mark the rotor location and change it. Is to the location of the timing marks. Should be on the timing cover. Possible they were removed to get the 318 in your 81.

Find number 1 on the cap. Run the rotor around to that point and temporally mark the cover were the HB shows number 1 at TDC. From there you will need some kind of piston stop. Turn the crank by hand for all the rest. Turn about 1/4 turn in the direction of normal rotation and install the stop. Turn the crank against rotation until the stop makes contact with the piston and mark the cover with another temporary mark. Then turn the crank in normal rotation until the stop again contacts the piston and place another temporary mark. The distance between the first and last piston stop marks is true TDC. Put a perinate mark of some sort at that point and remove all other temporary marks. From there its just a matter of marking degrees on the HB.

In all reality I would just mark the rotor to number one location some where remove and replace the distributor and tune to were ever it runs the best and forget it.

Will do, just ordered new distributor from Rock Auto, thanks for all the help. Its wobbling like crazy, must be a bent shaft....update when the part gets here.

It's not uncommon for the outer ring on the damper to spin on the damper after some time. So after you find true top dead center and your timing marks still aren't were they should be you need to replace it. The risk is that it will fail and do damage.

20190921_122936.jpg
20190921_122813.jpg
20190921_122836.jpg
Ok, Obviously the motor has a add on electronic ignition, the distributor itself wobbles when its running, thinking bent shaft. My new RockAuto distributor is points style. My question is, does anyone recognize this brand of electronic ignition? Then hopefully I can find a install instructions to convert the new distributor. Thanks for any help/advice. Not well versed in ignition/distributors so this is stressing me....

Disconnect the negitive coil wire and hook the new distributor to it set the point at about .017 and forget the conversion.
The old distributor looks to be an original Chrysler type.
Some swear by distributor conversions. Other have nothing but problems. If you want one like you took out just send the new one back to Rock Auto and have them send an electronic unit for standard Chrysler electronic Ignition.

Disconnect the negitive coil wire and hook the new distributor to it set the point at about .017 and forget the conversion.
The old distributor looks to be an original Chrysler type.
Some swear by distributor conversions. Other have nothing but problems. If you want one like you took out just send the new one back to Rock Auto and have them send an electronic unit for standard Chrysler electronic Ignition.

Ok, sounds like good sense to me, the new one has one black wire coming out of it, the old one has two wires, one orange, and one black. Do I go black to black and cap off the orange wire? Sorry for the newbie questions....I will learn. Thank you.

Forget the original distributor wires exist and hook the wire of the new distributor to the negative coil terminal after removing the wire that is there. It's that simple. I have done the swap along side the road many times it's that simple.

Forget the original distributor wires exist and hook the wire of the new distributor to the negative coil terminal after removing the wire that is there. It's that simple. I have done the swap along side the road many times it's that simple.

Freaking awesome! This is what I need, straight talk! Thank you!

Is there a ballast resistor on the firewall? The original coil is designed to run on reduced voltage the ballast resistor provides.

Is there a ballast resistor on the firewall? The original coil is designed to run on reduced voltage the ballast resistor provides.
There is a resistor on the firewall, I ordered the correct electronic distributor from RA, going to keep the points style dist. as a backup.
I have to say, this forum has been so helpful, and all you guys are great, dont mind my stupid questions at all, thank you!

I like to think there are no stupid questions. Everyone never knows everything. That's what we're here for.

From the looks of the distributor his blast will work just fine. If it were lean burn thats a complete wireing change.

Back