• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

throttle body flooding

1baddak

Reaction score
I need help big time. I have a 89 Shelby Dakota and my problem is ever time I turn the ing. on it just floods the TB. Iam talking about about 1/8--1/4 inch of fuel down on the butterflies. It started about a month ago. Ive had the injectors checked, put on new O rings, When it first started running bad I put on a new O2 sensor. I have replaced the map sensor, the TB position sensor, even put another TB on it. It still does the same thing. As soon as you turn the key on it sprays fuel out the top of the injectors and also down into the TB. Again I had the injectors checked. Ive also put 4 different sets of injectors in it.

I don't know what's up, but "possibly" I wonder if it's not the fuel bypass not allowing the extra fuel to go back to the tank, EFI supplies like 3x the amount of fuel & pressures that's needed & then bypasses the rest back to the fuel tank... make sure the return line isn't clogged.. best I can do... or maybe even an injector is stuck open with debris from the fuel tank & just replacing the injectors, didn't cure the problem... is the tank clean free of rust, sediment, debris, etc. ??, GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the idea about the return line. I already took it lose at the TB and blew back thru it. no problem. Ive done ever thing I can think of and what everbody else though of. I am solving the problem its good by 55 mm TB and hello 750 Demon carb. I tried everthing.

Did you check for any codes, by turning the key 3 times to the on position and count how many times the check engine light flashes?

Well I got it fixed. I took it off the computer. It sounds a lot better with the carb. Its got to run a lot better. As soon as I get the tranny fixed ill be on the road again.
Going from a 55 mm tb to a demon carb has got to help plus being able to set my timming and other things. And it sure looks a lot better.

1baddak what size Demon carb ?? & what type/style ignition did you go to ?? & how are you going address the electronic trans components, overdrive & converter lock up, with no computer ??... I'm just curious

I changed from a demon carb to a 770 Holley street avenger. As for the tranny I bought a kit that had two oil pressure switches one was 55 lbs the other was 45 lbs . You mount them on the tranny where the 45 lb shifts the tranny into OD and the 55 lb. locks up the converter. The little kit cost $80.00 and pretty easy to install. I forgot the name of the company but its out in the garage if you want it. It works great. Its not the same truck with the carb. I had to get a new converter because I couldn't get it to idle down with the carb. I don't know why but the truck sounds different (badass). I am running MSD Ing. Had to buy a new tach, couldn't figure out how to get the stock one to work, but I really didn't try hard because I wanted on of those Mopar tach. Looks killer.
It runs a lot better now. Havnt been to the strip yet but I know it faster. On the bad side my gas millage went from 14.5 to 12.5 .

Back