• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

TF 727 interchange between D-Trucks and other bodies

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
Hi there,

just a short question

is there a difference between a D-Truck 727 and a 727 trans out of a let´s say B-body ? something different when it comes to tail shaft lenght or so... ??

Thanks

A guy on FCBO has a 727 out of an 80's D300 and it has the short tailshaft. It's a club cab long box if that matters. But as Polara_500 said, they are usually the same including the tailshaft.

Ahhh, you get up into the D300 range and not much applies anymore with the heavy duty stuff.

d series could have a loadflite , short tall stock or long with a fixed yoke or flange and a e'brake drum . just changed over my 64 d100 a few months back from a /6 typewriter and loadflite with a drum e'brake . to a 383 typewriter 727 flange type from a car . it was all the same length and the driveline fit . i'm just doing a swap in my 69 d200 crewcab from an 318 loadflite fixed yoke short tall stock to a car 440 n 727 w/slip yoke . i need the driveline shorted and add a slip yoke like the car .

thanks guys... next question coming to my mind: when swapping from /6 to smallblock V8; is there any supplier offering conversion engine Mounts ? i know Schumacher have a view sets on their page but not for D-Trucks /6 to Smallblock.

Just use the truck mounts that came with the engine. No conversion mounts required.

Just use the truck mounts that came with the engine. No conversion mounts required.

Guess it wont work...

Maybe i should gave a bit more info (my fault)
Plans are to (maybe) take the magnum 5.2 which is in my 1965 Barracuda at the moment and throw it into my 1977 /6 powered D100. So i try to figure out what i need to make it happen. (Throttle cable, Kick down etc will be no issue as i will go for that with Lokar parts) but when it comes to K member engine mounts and so on, i'm a bit lost as those swaps are not very common in Germany

Okay then, just need some small block truck mounts and the motor will snuggle right in there, and those mounts are readily available for small dollars. Exhaust may be a bit tricky, but I wouldn't think horrible.

Barracuda transmission maybe a problem if it has the typical short tail shaft. If it has the long housing no problem.

Barracuda transmission maybe a problem if it has the typical short tail shaft. If it has the long housing no problem.

The Barracuda tranny will stay in the car. It s an early cable shift 904. For the swap i will try to locate a used 727 from an b-body or something like that. BigBlock conversions on Chargers or Coronets are common in Germany, so this will be the best chance to pick a cheap 727 with smallblock bolt pattern

That explains the need for kick down linkage. The /6 throttle cable should get to were it needs to be.

Was just cleaning up the back garage this afternoon and your post came to mind as I moved an oil pan - you will need a truck oil pan to move that engine into a truck. And of course, matching dipstick. Front vs rear sump and all that, you know. Sorry I didn't recall that sooner, but maybe you're already aware and if so then disregard.

If he was not half the globe away I would make him one heck of a deal. 318 truck engine with trans and all the goods except carb. Presently setup for a TQ.

Was just cleaning up the back garage this afternoon and your post came to mind as I moved an oil pan - you will need a truck oil pan to move that engine into a truck. And of course, matching dipstick. Front vs rear sump and all that, you know. Sorry I didn't recall that sooner, but maybe you're already aware and if so then disregard.

yes, i know .. if i use the 5.2 magnum engine it would be no issue as i still have the orig. truck/van pan stored in my garage. time will tell if i go that way. if i can get my hands on a cheap transmission it will happen, but i´m not in a hurry the slant is not that bad, good milage etc... but it lacks power when it comes to climp up a hill

Back