• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

suggestions?

Reaction score
ok - 1997 dodge ram sport 4x4 - 360 automatic. 124,000 miles. i just had the truck tuned up & made a trip to camp. granted, it was pulling my trailer & had some stuff loaded in the bed. 12 mpg. is there anything else i can do to wring another mile or two mpg out of this thing? i'm not expecting miracles but i used to get 16.5 on the same trip. appreciate any help you guys could give me.

wires, dist , fuel & air filters, plugs ... threw the slip away, that may be all, may not. i can check easy enuff.

Yea thats about all they do for a tune up. I am not all that familiar with magnum blocks but my experience with the LA blocks I would say the timing set is probably getting to the point were its real sloppy. Magnum blocks I think they have adjustable rockers could go through those and see if they are still set right. Also could do a comp test to see if your rings are still holding up. Those would be the easy things to check without dismantling the engine to far, except for the timing set, but like I said my opinion of that is just based off my experiences with LA blocks.

best way to get good gas mileage, put a 6cyl in there:rofl:

nice try with the 6 cyl but that ain't happenin. i did have both heads replaced & i think mileage really went down after that.

Just so I got it right , did the milage drop after the tune up or the head work ?

I don't think the wide spread use of 20% Alcohol has helped mileage stay where it used to be ( JUST A OPINION )

? is now moot. traded the dodge on a new chevy, mopar not offering any evidence they've figured out how to increase mileage.

Good luck on that....a buddy of mine is having hell with his new Chevy.....all in the name of better mileage.

Back