• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

stepside gas tank question

Dan Brooks

Reaction score
My 81 dodge stepside had the wrong gas tank in it when I bought it. I found a 20 gallon tank which came with the float assembly. I put it under and wired it up, poured 10 gallons into it and the gauge comes up just past empty, changed the sending unit in tank, same thing. bought an aftermarket fuel gauge and it reads the same as the factory gauge. What am I doing wrong here? I'm assuming if I dump another 5 gallons into it, it will come up a little but gauge will not read accurate. Before I put the tank in I wired it up on the floor and turned it over, it only came up to 3/4 tank after sitting there for about 5 min. I've changed everything and wired past the factory wiring and everything reads the same. It should be reading about half tank right now, what am I doing wrong? is there a difference between a 20 gallon and a 30 gallon? did this truck possibly come with a 30 gallon tank? I don't think a 30 gallon would fit under there but would that make a difference?

Back