• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter Interchangeability.

I dunno because of such a difference in years. But normally on the dakotas the 6 cyl and 8 cyl share the same starter no matter what trans. I say if its a starter you have laying around give it a shot the worst thing I can think of is that it won't physically fit in the same spot due to different shape or whatever. Mounting wise it should be the same.

They use the same starter from 91 till the end of the Magnum series V8 or V6 Ram Dakota or B series & Ram fullsize van. There are actually two types but bith fit each other with the difference being the terminal on the solenoid wire..

They will fit the earlier models by changing the dustcover & the engine to trans brace

Also the Dakota is the smaller one. Alot of guys use it since it is a cheaper version of the mini starter. Alot of A-body guys use them as well.

Well the starter in question is on a 96 my brother bought to swap front clips with his wrecked 92. The starter is there and in tact, he just doesn't think the 96 starter will fit on the 92 because the 96 has a 5-speed. I beleieve he was taking in terms of the gears meshing properly. If it would, then that would save him alot of money for a new starter.

I do believe that all of the Dakotas use a 143 tooth flywheel.

Hollander says it won't fit. '95 and older do......'96 and newer, different. I haven't tried it personally so maybe with some modification it will work. Let us know how it turns out.

only 3 starters for mopars using V-blocks.... the jeep is the only different one that only works with jeep, the other 2 are small and med and will work

Back