• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Spider gears wont go in limited slip diff. Please Help

desmond

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I snapped off a few lug nuts after a ubolt failed on my axle. I removed the diff cover and tried to unclip the C-Clips to release the axle so I could get the new lugs in. While I was trying to get them out the spider gears fell out of the assembly. I set them aside and kept trying to get the C clips out.

No matter how hard I push the axles in I cannot get enough clearance to get the C clips out. The limited slip is so tight that I cant seem to move it at all. The Limited slip clutch just will not retract enough to get the C clips out.

I gave up and ended up drilling a hole in my brake dust cover for the lugs. (I'm a welder/fabricator no biggie to patch)

Now that i have the lugs on I need to get the spider gears back in, but for the life of me I cant get the limited slip clutch to retract enough to get the spider gears back in. I've tried prying it open, yanking on tires to pull axle shafts tight, parked a truck on either side and used ratchet straps to pull axles away from the center. Lubed it all with gear oil and still I just cant get it to open enough to get the gears back in.

I called a few shops and they said if the clutch plates were that stiff they were probably bad. Does anyone have any tips for getting them off, so I can remove the C clips, swap out the clutch pads, and put the spider gears back on, on my work table?

Local shops are quoting me 200-450 to fix it. For that much I'd rather get it out with force and just upgrade to a locker.

Any help would be appreciated

I presume this is a 9.25 housing. Have you tried turning an axle shaft while the other side is locked stationary. It could be possible the LS is on the high side of the cone ( this should not be a disk type LS ) but don't see why this would keep the carrier gears from going in or the c-clips from being removed. The LS is contained in the diff housing - expansion should not be a problem.
The axle shafts do need to be slid all the way in for the c-clips to be removed. With the carrier gears removed I have had to use a wood block and a large hammer to get the axle shafts to move inwards to get clearance to remove the c-clips. If I remember right the carrier gears will only go in directly from the rear of the carrier and will have to be rotated into place. Do not forget to install the beveled washers.
Knowing which axle you actually have would be a plus, but removing the carrier will not solve the problem.

I want back and looked at your other post, I am assuming this is your 05 ram. It should be the 9.25 diff. Make sure that the back of the axle flange is not hitting the brakes anywhere. I had a couple of Ford's that were hard to get the clips out of because of the e-brakes.

Back