• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sorry fuel mileage on 96 V6 Dakota.....

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
My 95 averages 16 and thought that sucked but my first check on my new to me 96....wait for it.....12.7! It has similar pep as my 95, same 3.55's gears and even the tire sizes are the same. It runs good, idles smooth and well, I dunno. Was going to check for codes by doing the key flip but looks like that doesn't happen with the ODB II system? If the converter was stopped up some, would it still be peppy and still be restrictive enough to hurt mileage? O2 sensors? The 95 has a straight pipe and I'm ready to do it to the 96. Taking a finger to the exhaust pipe, it's dirtier than the 95 but not all that much worse and it doesn't seem to be burning oil either. Changed it a not long ago and it's still in the same place on the stick...

Is it shifting into OD? My 93 did good to get 12 when not in OD and 16 when is the reason for asking.

If you straight pipe it, you will be staring at a check engine light with a P0420 for catalytic converter inefficiency. It wont effect anything else and may improve your mileage, but may not. Is the check engine light on now?

Is it shifting into OD? My 93 did good to get 12 when not in OD and 16 when is the reason for asking.
Yup....it's shifting into OD. Took an 80 mile round trip to get some hay for my anamules and it did much better (according to the gas gauge lol) but it was mostly freeway driving. Haven't filled it up yet to check it though.

If you straight pipe it, you will be staring at a check engine light with a P0420 for catalytic converter inefficiency. It wont effect anything else and may improve your mileage, but may not. Is the check engine light on now?
Straight piping my 95 didn't do much for mileage but it did improve many other things! :D

The 96 have both up and downstream O2's?
I suspect it does but haven't looked at that yet. I hear you can ground the downstream O2 and the light will go off....? One more year and it won't be tested for emissions anymore.

Back