• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Short box vs standard box

D

Deleted member 3213

hi folks. I’d really like to hear from those who hesitated between these two box sizes and those that chose the short box. Did you regret it? I don’t work in construction. Have a family of 5 that goes to the chalet regularly. Coming from a minivan. Go fishing a few times a year. That’s it’s use. It will be a crew can obviously. Thanks folks. Also, on paper it’s says fuel mileage should be the same between an older minivan and a newer V8 truck. For those that have done the switch, did that translate in real world mileage? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you put a topper on it the truck will have less space than the mini van. Gas mileage will vary with what you get. Don't know how to compare that. Do know if you don't need the long bed it greatly increases the selection of trucks. Short bed trucks are plentiful. Especially in the four door models.

I agree about the topper also a long bed crew cab can be quite a bit of truck to park. I would stick with a short bed. Stay with a 1/2 ton (1500)
The Ford 2.7 ecoboost can get pretty good mileage, 3.5 ecoboost mileage isn't great and not sure about the 5.0.
The GM with the 5.3 does decent on the highway
The 5.7 Hemi I believe is ok on the highway.
Not sure about the foreign market.

Thanks. I really like the 2.7 litre from Ford but I am flexible on the truck as all 3 American trucks seem awesome to me. RAM with the interior, GM with the nice rear, steps and wider bed and Ford with overall packaging. I wouldn’t do the topper because I want to be able to stand in the bed. So it’s short box with a tonneau cover or standard box.

Have been told the Ram 1500 diesel does real well until its loaded down. Then expect about a 10 mpg drop.

I have a costumer that has one. His only complaint was the drop in fuel economy while towing and hauling heavy loads. Otherwise likes it as well as his previous gas 1500. Unloaded he said it gets better mpg than the Hemi.

Ford might make a little longer, yet still short, box for their new F-150, I backed into one in a parking ramp, and it looked longer than the standard short box, but wasn't anywhere near a full size box.

I have two trucks, a standard cab full size box, and a crew cab short stepside box. I got the full size for use as a truck, hauling, towing, etc. It does it all very well. I got the short box for play, and fun. I have yet to experience it (old truck) but it won't do much more than be a toy. I'm also taking away most if the available Space, by installing a triple hoop/double kickdown roll bar in the bed. Like I said toy. If you need to use the bed to haul stuff for the family, I'd go long box, especially with the no topper rule.

Got to remember garage space if its a concern. The 06 Ford F250 extended cab with 8 ft bed is 23ft 10inches. No room even in a 24ft garage for it.

From what I’ve seen the new GM diesel gets the best MPG of all trucks. Having said that, anyone who wants make real fuel savings will have to wait for the electric versions to start coming out on 2021. I think I’m gonna do that. I’m already spending 3k a year in fuel on my Sienna. Over the life of the vehicle...it’s nuts.

Back