• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Scored a sweet dodge for almost nothing

victa15

Reaction score
So I picked up this dodge truck for a few hundred bucks. I'm going to use it as a parts truck for my powerwagon. The guy I got it from was sad when I told him but it's because he cut the roof off and the doors. There is no structure anymore lol. But it has a mild built 400 with headers, Eddie intake and a brand new Eddie carb. Not including new starter and new fuel pump. I want to swap the engine and tranny into my truck which has a 318 in it right now. Would I have to do anything on my truck to make it fit? I want to swap axels cause they are 3/4 ton and mine are 1/2. Plus it has a 6 in lift with 38.5 inch tires on it. But I can't figure out the rear end. I think my front is a Dana 60 but the back one is a 14 bolt rear with n6969 stamped on it. I need to clean it off more to see more numbers. I included pictures of the rear and front diff

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

its a non floater type light 3/4 and 6's came with . thec floater duel bearing type is more load worthy . it just like a 1/2 ton piece if you break an axle . that was a good buy . i like your 62-64 in the back ground . got a couple of them myself .

DSC08197.JPG

That's what the rear axle is? Or the front one? Thanks the 64 has been sitting for 25 years

It's because the truck was from New York. It has some frame damage. Also I mostly want the engine and tranny in my truck. Depending what the axle swap will cost. (The welded some things that I don't approve) once I have it all apart I will start replacing things

From the tire design someone must have had rock crawler in mind. Little do they know but the axles would have never held up to that kind of abuse.

Yeah. When they did the lift kit they chopped and welded some things I don't like. I'm going to take the body lift and put it on my truck. But I mostly want the motor and tranny. The only thing is the transfercase on my truck is a np208 so I'm going to have to change out the shafts so they would fit. The axels and transmission on my truck are from a 85 ramcharger

It's going to get put back together. It was my friends dads truck before he passed. Use to have a 360 in it. Now it has a 225 from my 68 valiant build. Just going to make it a parts chaser truck.

mine was a /6 typewriter , now 383 typewriter , put a car trans in it for the park lever . that some work making that go together . a 9 1/4 354 lckr r/e from a 75 440 ramcharger

DSC09262.JPG

DSC09263.JPG

DSC07552.JPG

DSC08033.JPG

thats stock oem orange baked enamel paint from the good old days , when the vehicle only had to be painted once in it long life . can't say that about the new stuff , lol . both trucks were state of california service p/u's for roads and highways back in the day . and that motor is a 383 i bought back 50k miles ago from a rolled polara 500 in the boneyard , it was freash freash , iron was not even painted on the heads , 69 rr 383 . i added a few goodies , but its been a runner since iu just it in a 69 dart for awhile . sold that body off , kept the running gear . set that in my dirt yard to get it up on the road , /6 gave up . peeled it down and prep'd it for the transplant . had the exhaust system on another d100 , another that got wreck'd out . here is the dart sleep'r , made many reno runs . we never got pass'd ever . lol . but she wasn't fast enough to not get hit .

DSC03650.JPG

DSC04059.JPG

DSC04060.JPG

DSC06309.JPG

So I picked up this dodge truck for a few hundred bucks. I'm going to use it as a parts truck for my powerwagon. The guy I got it from was sad when I told him but it's because he cut the roof off and the doors. There is no structure anymore lol. But it has a mild built 400 with headers, Eddie intake and a brand new Eddie carb. Not including new starter and new fuel pump. I want to swap the engine and tranny into my truck which has a 318 in it right now. Would I have to do anything on my truck to make it fit? I want to swap axels cause they are 3/4 ton and mine are 1/2. Plus it has a 6 in lift with 38.5 inch tires on it. But I can't figure out the rear end. I think my front is a Dana 60 but the back one is a 14 bolt rear with n6969 stamped on it. I need to clean it off more to see more numbers. I included pictures of the rear and front diff

View attachment 8584

View attachment 8585

View attachment 8586

View attachment 8587

View attachment 8588
That 14 bolt rear diff looks like a 9 1/2" c-clip axle that GM uses, I have one in my 98 Chevy 2500. The 10 1/2 14 bolt is the one your would want, floating axles, mucho strong. You could always get a Mopar Dana. I looked closer at your post again and the front doesn't look like a Dana.

That's what I was thinking. Are they good axels though? I might sell them and keep my 1/2 axels because I don't do a lot of off-roading

They are ok axles but big tires will find the weak links when wheeling. If you were going to do a lot of wheeling I would say go Dana 60's for sure.

Back