• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Random problem dont know why plz help

Terryp

Reaction score
So I have a 1989 dodge d150le 318 tbi truck the factory temp sensor has to be plugged in when cold or truck won't idle but when it gets to temp truck surges In power if i unplug it when hot truck runs fine any one had this problem or have any insight is appreciated.

Any codes? When it's cold the computer is looking at the temp for start up and is in open loop until a certain temp is reached. When it goes to closed loop the computer looks at more things and starts to make adjustments, by unhooking the temp sensor your forcing it back into open loop and it runs a fixed program. I would start by checking for codes.

You should be able to quickly cycle the ignition switch and then just leave it on. It will either ding or a light in the dash will flash. You will need to record the ding or flash to figure out what the code is. The code number will be shown in groups. With no error code there will be two groups. One to tell the system has been found and one will tell you its done. Yes a lot of fun. If your lucky and have an old OBD can, connector and the right card all the better. OBD II will not even plug in.

This is why I pulled the whole entire wiring harness out of my 90. That system has no room for error. If one little thing goes wrong the truck will run like shit. When I got my hands on this truck the dang thing would kill you from co2 If you stood behind It at idle (not joking). I'm not suggesting to do what I'm doing because, It has opened up a whole can of worms. I'm know Into a total restomod project that I didn't want.

had an '88 W100 that acted like that. Turned out to be the fuel pump.

Back