• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ram Power Wagon vs Snowplow

DartVador

Reaction score
I was driving a Ram 3500 dually 6.7 Cummins. I had planned on getting into some hot-shot hauling. As time was going on, I looked into costs involved of getting into hot-shot hauling, I looked at my current income - collecting a steady check every 2 weeks, and looked at driving a dually just to commute to work. After looking at all of that I decided NOT to get into hauling and to trade the dually for a Power Wagon. What an awesome truck - but - I NEVER would have thought it would be an issue to mount a plow.

First - Power Wagons have lighter suspension than a regular 2500. No problem, I was going to put 3500 springs in. There was a claim by some that the factory installed winch would have to come off because a plow mount would use the same bolts. No problem - you use longer bolts. However, I started looking at the motor for the power disconnecting sway bar. It was going to interfere with a plow mount. I read how you would have to do all kinds of trimming and modifications - something I decided I did NOT want to do.

So, as much as I loved that Power Wagon, I decided to trade - again. I work at a Ram dealer and had just cleaned up a 2014 3500 6.7 Cummins / single rear wheel. For the age and miles (123,000) it was especially clean. It had been corporate driven and faithfully serviced. So, it was out with the new Power Wagon and in with the older 3500 with the factory heavy duty plow prep package.

upload_2019-9-1_11-13-5.jpeg

How bad was the hotshot deal? A friend and I were thinking about doing that.

How bad was the hotshot deal? A friend and I were thinking about doing that.
I don't have any numbers to give you. I am sure it could work if you are ready to dedicate a LOT of time. You need to stay busy to make a living at it. These days, you are bound to the same laws and regulations as a big rig. This includes, I believe, keeping an electronic log. The thing that made me give the idea up was insurance. The amount of liability you are required to carry is crazy.

That thing should move some serious snow.
I'm hoping it will and it should. Western recommends 760lbs of ballast in the box and it needs it. While driving home with the plow on the first time, I only had 500 in the box. While going around a curve, I hit the loud pedal a little too hard and the back tires quickly lost traction. I've seen guys try to plow without ballast and are continually having to get pulled away from snow piles.

Thats all 750 lbs. ? That like throwing a feather in that 3500. Surprised you don't carry at least that all the time to keep that beast riding smooth.

Back