• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Question for the 5.9 gas fuel injection gurus

Demonracer

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 gas motor in it. I have random, roaming misfires & my fuel mileage is in the toilet. I've replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, & wires three times with no success. I was told that I probably have a few bad injectors. My truck has red top injectors & I've found that new injectors are a bit out of my budget. I had a friend who gave me two sets of brand new gray top injectors & told me if they if they worked, that I was welcome to them. My question is, can I use the gray tops in place of my red tops, & if so what will happen? Sorry for the long dissertation, but I know nothing about fuel injection.

If you have answers, please PM me as I've had multiple problems retrieving answers on the forum.

Thanks,

Bill S.

What year are the gray tops from? Is the truck using oil? The Intake has a pan on the bottom and the gasket often sucks out and it will burn oil and can cause misfires.

What year are the gray tops from? Is the truck using oil? The Intake has a pan on the bottom and the gasket often sucks out and it will burn oil and can cause misfires.
Ditto, when the belly pan gasket gets very bad it allows a huge vacuum leak that will kill fuel mileage and sometimes so much oil will pass that it will foul the plugs randomly. You can do the stock upgrade or the Hughes billet pan which is the best option.

Heads were replaced with Magnum RT heads about a year ago because of cracks between valves. The original injectors were reused & all was good until a few weeks ago when the random misfires started. The truck is not using any oil, I checked the plugs when I replaced them. I believe the gray top injectors (pn 53030778) are from a 98 of 99 5.9, or possibly 5.2 motor. We were running a set in our 98 Dakota stock eliminator truck, but I'm unsure as to what effect they will have on my DD.

What's the part no on the original injectors? Are the connectors the same? As long as the flow rate is the same and the resistance is the same you can use them. When I googled the 99 inj the connector looks different from the 2000 inj.

Mopar Action did an article about rebuilding your injectors. Believe it was cheaper than going new replacement. Course daily driver means you use it so that might not be the best route.

Its been a million years and I cant find the part # but I used Ford Motorsports injectors on my Dak when I ran N2O. They have a better spray pattern, were considered an upgrade over stock Dodge and were very affordable. Im scouring my notes and if I find the part # I'll post it up.

Back