• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Picking up a 1976 Dodge 3/4 ton

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am picking up a 76 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4, 440 4 speed. Wondering what I should look for.

Been a mopar guy my whole life, but not a truck guy, until I bought 8 acres.

Owner said throw out bearing is noisy, but truck is in good shape other wise. Anything I should watch for? Good sites for info and parts? newest dodge pic 3-3.jpg

newest dodge pic 3-3.jpg

newest dodge pic2-2.jpg

Last edited:
That is one nice looking 78. Well taken care of is it all original or has it been restored? Checking the bed floor for bowed and dented metal is usually a good indicator of it previous use. Looks like possible a full time four wheel drive not great for gas mileage but should take care of any hauling needs.

It sounds like it's unrestored, except for the engine transplant, the previous owner is a mopar guy that did all the transplant items correctly. I believe there is a hub kit these days to make it part time 4x4?

You might check on the door pillar to find out what year it was built and make sure the title matches the VIN. The cab and doors could be a '76, or '72-'80. The hood could be '72-'78 and the steering wheel could be '72-'76, the dash and door panels could be '77-'78 (can't remember what the '79-'80 looked like), the front fenders and bed are from the '81 and up and not sure about the seats. The grill is early '90s I believe, but I'm not real up on those "new" trucks. The green pain inside the cab looks to be '77, the same that was on my truck. '78 was a touch lighter. Front axle would appear to be full time, which could be '75 to '80? There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching parts, but you certainly don't to take it in for a safety inspection or such and find the cab VIN doesn't match the title. License bureau doesn't go for that kind of stuff.

I posted the last message before your last post showed up saying it was a '78. I checked some old Dodge literature I had and the seats do look like optional bucket seats that were available on more upscale models. The large diameter steering wheel looks what was on the pre-1977s. Both power steering and non-power trucks used the same sized wheel. Starting in '77, the power steering jobs used a smaller diameter wheel, although they may have retained the large wheel on manual steering for the extra leverage. The wood grain at the bottom of the doors is certainly something added later. The bottom white part of the dash has either been replaced or repainted because it should be the same green as the doors.

Is that a trailer brake modulator to the left of the ash tray? If so it appears it has been pulling trailers. If you need it, that's a good deal because those things aren't cheap. Good looking wheels!

I think i got the better end of this deal. Traded my 68 Coronet, straight across. Just picked up the truck. Gee really nice, registered as a 76, rhino lined bed, second set of tires, runs great, pics to follow

I think i got the better end of this deal. Traded my 68 Coronet, straight across. Just picked up the truck. Gee really nice, registered as a 76, rhino lined bed, second set of tires, runs great, pics to follow

Pretty good looking truck. Has the extra radiator overflow tank on it. Also had an air pump on it at one time from the looks of the left hand bracket. ERG valve doesn't have a vacuum hose, so it appears someone de-smogged it. Thing is, in '78 a 3/4 ton shouldn't of had any smog equipment on it unless if was a California model or one bought by the federal government. Feds bought CA spec trucks for everywhere in the country. I wonder if it could have been a military owned truck? I couldn't see the crease in the door on your first photo, but that and the plastic air vents on the door means it must also be from the 80's or 90's line the fenders and bed. I suspect it must have either been a rust belt truck at one time or had been badly banged up. The VIN on the left door jamb should give you and idea of the original body style, engine and build date and if the VIN plate is still on the driver side door, it would tell you the year of the body parts. The color looks exactly like what's on my '74 D300.

I will check the VIN and see what it says, the previous owner said it was a 318 truck that had a transplant, also he said it was a Forest Service truck or something like that which makes sense with what you wrote. Its registered as a 76, its tight and drives nice, straight down the road. Someone took care of it. The engine stamp is a 7T, a 77 440, oh well, at least its a 440 and has potential.

IIRC the vin tag was on the door frame up to 76. 77-80 was on the door itself. 81 and on was on the dash. Judging by the the picks, someone took a 76 power wagon and swapped on 80s sheet metal. The box, doors. and fenders are 80s and the grill is 92-93. the bumpers are also 80s era also. Also an ac truck but missing the compressor by the looks of it. Overall a nice looking truck and a big block to boot! Just my 2c.

I haven't found one on the bed, but that's not to say I don't know where to look. The '77 I'm restoring has parts from numerous different trucks and years and I like to keep track of each one. It will make it much easier to find the correct parts in the future should I need to. For instance my engine has an '80 block, Mexican made '85 heads and crank, '86 carb and intake and so on. While most of the parts were pretty much the same year to year, there are sometimes differences. Especially something like the carb, it was from an '86 B250 OATS van and often times carbs were very specific as to their application. For instance the van had 2 air pumps while the '85 truck had 1 and measurements showed the cam grinds were different between the '86 van and the '85 truck. I don't know, but that right there may mean the van carb could be slightly different from the truck carbs. Might be good to know if I ever have to overhaul the carb. Also, the '85 and 86 used GM Quadrajet carbs while the '84 and older all used Carter Thermoblock. That right there is vital to know.

There should have been a large vehicle equipment identification stucker stuck under the hood on the right side that would have shown everything from spring rates, differential ratios, engine and carb, wheel size and width, frame length, all other options and so on. Like so many, mine fell off ages ago and I have no idea of if I saved it or not. On my '77, there is a metal body trim tag that is attached to the top of the radiator support forward of the battery. It's probably 1.5 X 3 inches more or less. It has the VIN as well as a bunch of other numbers that are supposed to identify the paint color/scheme, trim style and so on. My truck was originally a fairly plain Custom style with sliding rear window, carpet, oil pressure gauge and a few things like that as options, although it did have the upscale #3 2 tone paint scheme. When I'm done, it will have other trim that would have been found on an Adventurer.

You can get some interesting info from the VIN on the door or pillar. On my parts truck, the pillar vin is gone but the door VIN shows it originally had a utiline step side bed but when I got it, it had a 6' sweptside. I'm positive the bed was swapped rather than the door because behind the tail light reflectors is some factory wine colored metallic paint whereas everything I've found on the cab was blue. I guess it's kind of like a person's geneology; I like to know where I (and my truck) came from.

But as long as your truck is solid and does what you want, what I think doesn't matter. Whoever put it together did make a really sharp looking truck though. And if it was a forest service truck, it would have been painted a ugly green color that looked like Linda Blair's demonic puke in that movie The Exoricist or whatever it was called. Any color would be better than that. I suspect that color was chosen as an anti-theft measure because I don't know anyone who would want to drive something that ugly unless they were forced to.

The Door VIN is all scratched up and unreadable, there are no stickers or tags under the hood. The VIN on the title is W27BJ6S230846

Serial Number W27BJ6S230846
Make Dodge
Model W2 - W200
Body Style 7 - Flat Face Cowl; Club Cab with Sweptline Box; Compact Mid-Line Extended Body Maxiwagon (Custom Sportsman)
Gross Vehicle Weight B - 6,001 lbs to 10,000 lbs
Engine J - 400 V8
Year 1976
Plant S - Warren Truck #1
Wheelbase 131,149
Rating 3/4 Ton
Build Number 230846

Real odd looking bracket on top the power steering pump any idea what type pump the po had there? This is a non-A/C truck!

I think secret indy made a typo and got his numbers reversed. My 74 has the VIN on the door only and both '77s have it on the door as well as a cellophane type one pasted to the door jamb. And 7mopar, I believe that's an air pump bracket. If it was a USFS truck, it would of had the California emissions equipment even though it was a 3/4 ton and didn't need it in the other 49 states.

I find it interesting to know a vehicle's past. For instance, sometime in the early-mid 1980s my Studebaker Hawk was confiscated in a drug raid and sold at auction to the guy I got it from. The different bed I'm getting for my '77 was a military truck (still painted military camo)and appears to of had a large generator in the back. Holes have been cut through the outside and inside at an upward angle as well as some sort of bracket bolted to the outside up front, presumably to support the generator. On the dash a AC voltmeter was installed on the left side and the left rear corner of the bed floor is very bady rusted, unlike the rest of the bed which is extremely solid. Makes me wonder if that's where they had located the battery used for starting the generator. You know how badly the battery tray rusts out on our trucks.

rp23g7, I've traveled all over the US by bike over the last 35 years and have been through more national parks, state and national forests, BLM land, etc than I can remember. All of the USFS trucks I encountered were used for moderate to low speed patrol and such and were either Ramcharger/Blazer types or half ton conventional cab pickups. I can't ever remember seeing a crew or club cab or anything heavier than a half ton. It makes me wonder if your truck was used off road for fighting fires and/or hauling equipment, which would explain the 400 engine. I've talked to the forestry guys before and like the USDA trucks I drove in the 70s, all of those vehicles had 6 cylinder engines or at best, in 1976 a few Fords had the small 302 V8. Dodges all had slant 6s or the Chevys the straight 6. You never can tell, your truck may have been a tanker or had a utility or flat bed on it and whoever bought it put the conventional bed on and wanted the doors and front fenders to match the body style of the bed. That would explain the later model body panels, but it still having the '76 hood with the pasted on Dodge letters. I was wondering what the extra home made bracket on the right side of the engine bay is. Looks kind of like it could be for an extra battery. I wonder if the truck had spot lights or flood lights on it and used the 2nd battery for keeping up with the current draw?

great info, I love finding the history of your cars, I once owned a 88 Plymouth Reliant, that turned out to be the Commanding officer of the USS Nimitz's car, I had the black and silver military inventory sticker on it and all the info on the paperwork, and a car cover with the Nimitz crest on it.

I have been a aircraft mechanic for a long time, there was a F8 Crusader in our A&P school shop, we found its log book in the storage room once, really cool reading what all it went through in Vietnam and other places. I will look around the truck and see what else I can find.

I did a small look around on the truck, I think your right about it having searchlights or something with a second battery. It has a big heat sink/relay on the right fender with one lead still going to the alternator.

No VIN or ID stickers or tags anywhere. The frame has surface rust, indicating some possible salty road operation. but the axels and such don't have the same amount of corrosion on them, the look pretty much like any truck. No leaks anywhere.

Its VIN states it is a 3/4 ton, but the rear axel looks like a full floater to me, did they do that on 3/4 tons back then? Also it has a 2nd gas tank, that looks completely aftermarket ahead of the left rear wheel it doesn't even look like a fuel tank would. Just a steel box.

Runs great though, who ever transplanted the 440 did a god job, front end must have been rebuilt at sometime, it goes straight down the road, no clunks or creaks or bonks, just some rattling from loose interior stuff.

Back