• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Old Blue... He LIVES?

StrokerMan

Reaction score
This is the story of Old Blue.
My fiance decided it would be a good idea to browse the internet for a project truck (not that we need another with my 82 D250 and 73 Duster sitting across town in storage waiting for their turn).... we found one, and she suggested we go halfs and buy it... In all we were pretty excited.
Our 85 Dodge D250 didn't run, so we towed it with my 2015 Ram R/T to O'Reilys that evening where we tried to get it running........ until they closed on us. Literally, locked us out and waved at us from the back. :banghead:
Our O'Reilys adventure consisted of a new battery, re-installing the starter and alternator, and fashioning up a jump wire (for the starter) and sketchy battery hold down strap. Of course that wasn't enough, come to find out it needed a new starter and had a few more wiring issues that needed to be addressed before it would run. We ended up towing it to her parents house and calling it a night. :dead:

A few weeks later, we towed it to the house. And this is where the true story begins:

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4120.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

This has taken a long time but it's been pretty crazy lately. We installed a new battery and fixed a lot of wiring that the previous owners messed up. Installed a new water pump and balancer, re-sealed the valve covers, new engine mounts, and eliminated the smog crap. Also rebuilt an edelbrock carburetor I had laying around and installed with an adapter. Now we need a new fuel pump that wont leak back, re-seal the oil pan, and that driver door handle. The spring is rusted and broke. Oops. :snaphappy: I also refurbished the gauges while I was fixing the wiring. It's kind of a hobby. :shame:
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_3158.JPG
IMG_4125.JPG
IMG_4156.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG

Ok. Lots of crazy stuff happens in nowhere. Figured out the truck ultimately needs a transmission. I had an extra one laying around that i didn't really want to use but figured hey, it's not doing me much good in my garage, might as well go for it. So engine has been pulled and cleaned up, new fuel pump. Smog pipes cut, crushed and welded shut. Painted engine, trans, and all bracket stuff. Flushed out the engine, put in clean fluids, sealed engine pan and trans pan. Plus a new trans mount and rear freeze plugs. :dead: Still have to hook up some of it but its something. Starting a new job so I'm losing some playtime. :snaphappy:

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5330.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5354.JPG

IMG_5356.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

Photos ext. Also cleaned up frame rails, cross member and brake booster/cylinder ect..

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with reborn. No need to work in a dirty environment if there is a means to clean it.
I pull the front clip any more takes about 30 minutes but makes putting and connecting engine and transmission components much easier.

I thought about pulling the front off. Next will be the interior. Plus a few things I stole from another project truck.

Back