• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

NR: headers for a '73 Custom 100 with 318

Jim64

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
My son has a 1973 Dodge Custom 100. Formerly a Colorado Forest Service truck, it's a long-bed step-side.

It has a 318 with crappy headers, and I'd like to get him some new headers that are designed well, have nice thick flanges, and don't rub anywhere! If you have suggestions on the best headers for this truck, please let me know! (If you have any suggestions for headers to avoid, please let me know that, too!)

Thanks!
-Jim

For my 1979 D100 (should be the same frame as your '73) I put Sanderson Shorty Headers. They have thicker than average flanges and heavier than average gauge tubes. Don't recall the exact specs. but, it's on the Sanderson website. Also, they are 1 and 1/2 inch primaries which is a better size for a stock street vehicle. Most headers are 1 and 5/8" for small block Mopar.
They fit easy. Don't bump or even come close to anything. (stock starter motor on my truck).
IF you buy these headers, get the copper collector gasket. The paper ones supplied with the headers didn't last 100 miles. My headers are ceramic coated, too. I am very pleased with them. And they are Made in the USA.
Incidentally, to attach the collector to the header; I ordered stainless steel lock nuts. Don't have to do that, I think it's a good idea, though.

Last edited:
Thanks Dogs! I see that they have two basic styles - one has very short tubes that dump in the center of the block, and the other has longer tubes that dump behind the rear-most exhaust port. Which dod you choose?
upload_2016-11-14_11-53-44.png

I got the DD1, the ones that dump in the center. I bought them from another retailer, they were on sale for $100.00 below list.
Sanderson does not use a header flange gasket. Instead they use a bead of high temperature RTV sealant. Just follow the instructions. It works! Got several hundred miles with these headers and no leaks from the flange.
Like I said, earlier, the paper collector gasket blew out quickly. I now run the copper gaskets. No problems.

Back