• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New welder

carb87

Reaction score
I need to replace sections of quarter panels on my duster. I have a harbor freight special that just doesn't weld worth a darn. So I have been doing a lot of research on welders. I wanted a tig so I started looking around and was going to get an everlast tig. They have a 5 year warranty and are only a few hundred dollars. They seem to have a decent reputation with people who have actually used one. But I got to looking and the closest service center is around a 100 miles away. So if I ever had to use the warranty it would be all over the phone and through the mail. So I started looking again at more main stream brands. And for a tig it was about 1500 for anything that could go over 90amps. During my reseach I found out about multiprocess machines (mig, tig and stick). Specifically I was looking at the esab rebel, the Lincoln 210, and the miller 215. They all are similarly priced around 1700-1900. Which is only about 200-400 more than a straight tig. But you loose hi frequency. I personally wouldn't be doing aluminum so the 200-400 more for a mig I felt was worth it. As for specs between then they were all pretty much the same. But I ended up going with the miller because it has a built-in gas valve for the tig when the other two had manual valves on the torches. If you don't mind that then any of the three would be great welders in my opinion. I havent reall gotten a chance to use it yet other than a quick fusing pass to verify it works but seems to be a nice machine cant wait to use it. Just thought I'd share my research incase anyone else is thinking about picking up a new welder.
miller-multimatic-215-with-tig-kit-951674-17.jpg

Are you going to MIG the quarters on? I do like the Idea of the multipurpose machine but would want aluminum capability. Either a spool gun or TIG

Are you going to MIG the quarters on? I do like the Idea of the multipurpose machine but would want aluminum capability. Either a spool gun or TIG
I was planning on using the tig for the quarters. Softer welds less spatter. I would have liked high frequency but none of the multiprocess machines I found had it. It does have the capability to use 2 different spool guns miller makes so you could do aluminum that way just no capability of using tig on aluminum no hi frequency and dc only.

Edit. It can use the miller spool mate 100 or 150

Hi
For MIG I picked up a Lincoln DUAL
Its a 120/240 Industrial
A bit more heavy duty than what is sold at Home Depot.

Back