• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New to me 96

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
This thing is pretty nice and the AC will freeze you out. Looks like it may have been garage kept for most of it's existence. Not a V8 :( but the 6 runs pretty good....and have already got rid if the 6" wheels and installed a set of late model 8 inchers with 235-75-15 that came on another vehicle and are nearly new. Used to run 255-60's on my 95 and it handled very well with those and would like to get another set....

65386873_10213848026187059_837767881147023360_n.jpg

66275919_10213848025667046_422917531192262656_n.jpg

Should I keep the 'Dakota' mud flaps? Not sure I like them but not hating them either.....

The mudflaps might help to keep stone-chips off the rear lower quarters. Not ugly, but not as common to have them these days. Truck looks very smart Cranky....I like it. :)

Another thing I did was take off the overload shocks and cut the springs off of them. It dropped the rear about 1 1/2" and improved the ride a bunch!

You saving the old Dakota?
The red one is in really good shape for a 96. Just making some improvements. Installed the later model 8" wheels and the new mickys and so far that's all I've done. Removing the overload coils made it ride a bunch better. Now my green 95 needs some help even though it still runs pretty good. Might start looking for a V8 to drop in it. Thinking about throwing in an 8 3/4 too....

One can never have enough trucks. One for hauling, one for work and hopefully some day one to goof off in.
I think my 93 has 7" wheels but not real sure. Your 96 looks like any width would fit. Well at least the vertical clearance is there.

One can never have enough trucks. One for hauling, one for work and hopefully some day one to goof off in.
I think my 93 has 7" wheels but not real sure. Your 96 looks like any width would fit. Well at least the vertical clearance is there.
The truck sits 1 1/2" lower in the rear now since pulling off the overload coils from the shocks. Yeah, still have my diesel too so it's three trucks. The diesel is slowly getting new gears installed.....and I mean slowly. I'm ready to set the pinion depth and the ring gear is bolted to the new LSD unit. Just got to work out now and gain some strength in my arms again after a bad muscle pull in my right arm. :(

Back