• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New here, 74 D100

Battlewagon

Reaction score
Howdy! New to this D100, but I've had plenty of 72-80 W series trucks, Ramchargers/Traildusters.

Spotted this 74 on Craigslist for $1k. Rusty cab, bed is pretty banged up, but smog exempt and kinda ran. Rode my bike 80 miles up to get her, did a little tinkering on the engine side wireharness, then drove her on home. It was quite the adventure. The inside rear view mirror was loose, the motorcycle was blocking my view out he rear, no pass side mirror, some tiny garbage piece stuck to drivers side that was completely useless. Cut out for a second here and there, horrific at less than 1/2 throttle, and making the most terrible noises.

Absolute first thing I did was replace the outside mirrors and tighten up the inside mirror.
Then did wheel bearing and rotors, adjusted rear brakes.
Deleted all the crazy vacuum lines which cleaned up running a LOT. The EGR was getting straight vacuum signal rather than ported. Still has a bit of a leak around the throttle shaft so its lean, but smooth running now. Have a Performer intake and new Edelbrock carb that will go on when the gaskets arrive.
I was pretty sure the trans was toast. 3rd gear syncho is definitely gone, but know how to double clutch.
Did the trans mount with urethane. The old rubber mount was simply gone. That cleaned up a lot of the scary noises and some of the vibration, along with new motor mounts. When I had my motorcycle in the back though it was completely vibration free. Soooo, new u joints killed off the last of the noise and vibes.
Went on to toss a orange electronic module at it, new dizzy, and all the hoses. At one point the truck wouldn't start when it was cold out. New dizzy solved that so must have been getting a open in the pickup when cold.

Soo, now shes a solid runner. Next up, I have a fresh 340 to drop in, close ratio NV3500, 4:10 sure grip, carpet, later Ram bench seat, drive and enjoy. :)

As pictured from the ad:

1.jpg

Day I picked her up, bike loaded and ready for the trek home:

2.jpg

New mirros mounted. Found them new on Amazon:

3.jpg
4.jpeg

Added a class III receiver, off to towing duty:

5.jpg

Her driveway mate, a hopped up 73 Plymouth wagon

6.jpg

The NV3500 that will be hung behind the 340:

7.jpg

Hello from Minnesota. Nice intro, and thanks for the pics! Sounds like quite the adventure, always makes for a good story!

Hello from Minnesota. Nice intro, and thanks for the pics! Sounds like quite the adventure, always makes for a good story!

Thanks! Yes, was definitely a adventure driving it the first week! I was certain at some point the NP435 was going to explode at any second. Amazing what a racket a bad trans mount and u joints can make. LOL

You said rusty cab, must be inside. Not a bad looking old truck. Welcome aboard.

Yeah, passenger side floor pan is rusty, easy fix. However mice used to live in it at one point and the area right behind the top of the windshield is rusted out bad. Oddly enough the outer skin is solid. Driving around and hitting bumps weird nuts and seeds would fall out so I assume the rustout is dou to mouse wizz.

Back