• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New guy here with a question

Ratrod94

Reaction score
3Ed3K83M55G55He5M7cbo5e61fc1c9ac814da.jpg178104_480858335268770_1289776431_o.jpg ok heres my question, my 81 Ford F150 has a 302 Automatic and posi rear end. how hard would it be to swap that over to this 55 Ford, deal is im selling my 65 Dodge D100 for something older. id like to get that 55 ford and do the swap with the drive train in my 81 ford. how hard would it be? this drive train in that 81 is immaculate. not a drip of oil. doesnt smoke. i drive this truck daily. id like to save up atleast 500 bucks before i do the swap for back up funds. im working at walmart so it will take a while so i better get to work:whip:

3Ed3K83M55G55He5M7cbo5e61fc1c9ac814da.jpg

178104_480858335268770_1289776431_o.jpg

Should be fairly easy except for the wiring for the computer controls and the automatic overdrive transmission. If the wiring doesn't scare you,none of the mechanical work will. The 55's came stock with the Y-Block V-8's,and everybody on the planet was swapping big block FE engines into them in the 60's using all Ford parts.

If you have never done this sort of thing before the best advise I can give you is to find somebody who has done engine swaps before,and get them to help you. Chances are you don't even have a cherry picker or the other tools needed to complete the swap,and they will.

Should be fairly easy except for the wiring for the computer controls and the automatic overdrive transmission. If the wiring doesn't scare you,none of the mechanical work will. The 55's came stock with the Y-Block V-8's,and everybody on the planet was swapping big block FE engines into them in the 60's using all Ford parts.

If you have never done this sort of thing before the best advise I can give you is to find somebody who has done engine swaps before,and get them to help you. Chances are you don't even have a cherry picker or the other tools needed to complete the swap,and they will.

oh yeah, we've got all of the tools as for the Wiring my dad has a good buddy whos good at wiring. now ive never done a inline 6 to big block but i have done the inline six to small block swap.

I'm guessing you have a straight six in the 53'? Those things are tough, definitely hold on to that. LMC Truck sells bolt in kits for just this. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fa/full.aspx?Page=37 Number 1 and number 5 is what you're probably looking for. I bought that same cross-member and used it for a 69' F100. I think you'll be surprised at how easily it all swaps over. The only concern I'd have is the width of the rear end. Ford changed a lot in the 70's. Plz post pics! Good luck!

Back