• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New furry family member

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
Some of you know that my dog Tasha died in November. We are not over grieving for her but we thought the time was right to get another pooch. Laura got infected by the Rottweiler bug so she had been on a search for a little but with breeders and other folks and she found one she was comfortable with. On Saturday we went to look at some 11 week and 5 month olds. There was a 3 year old needing to be rehomed, but we weren't able to see her. (I would have gone that route if it was just me, I am a big believer rehoming adult dogs). So we loaded up.the granddaughters since they will be around this dog a lot. We let one of the girls pick out a pup (we knew it was the one we wanted, just let her feel a little special). Laura already had a name for the dog before we went! Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Sophie!

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

I haven't trained a puppy in ages and got lucky with the one I did, only pee'd in the house once. Sophie is a little more wild. She just got taken away from her pack and other dogs, so she was in shock a bit, obviously. So we've had a few accidents. She's a good dog and I've taught her to come, working on sit, but my favorite, she figured out the steps, key to potty training her. Hooked her up on a lead outside and she got used to it very quickly, so we are making some good progress. We also brought her to Laura's son's place to let her roam and meet his dog. (We are going to have her be very socialized with other dogs.) She seemed very comfortable at his place so that will be a regular outing. She will get to know horses, sheep, and chickens out there too.

How is Sophie adapting? Getting along with the rest of the outdoor family can be challenging.

How is Sophie adapting? Getting along with the rest of the outdoor family can be challenging.
She's getting along pretty good. She's an indoor pooch, and for her sadly, the only pooch. She's still young enough that she thinks the granddaughters toys on the floor belong to her! Still not quite house broken but getting there. She's moving toward the door at least. We get that figured out and we should be good to go. She's getting used to being on a leash but still can only go a few blocks before she calls it quits. Think she's got her kennel figured out, she hardly whined last night.

It's cool watching her as she watches everything and learns, quickly. She figured out the gate going in to the kitchen last night:

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

They caught on fast dont they. I had to lock the latch on the labs dog gate he figured out how to get it open some how.
Next will be getting the granddaughter trained not to chew on the dogs toys.

The little gal took every toy the granddaughters put on the floor. A 5 and 2 year old, and the 5 year old was certain it was the dogs fault and should have known better. She was playing with Sophie more than she plays with her family dog, a Golden retriever that doesn't get enough attention. That's fine though because we can teach the girls how to help raise and train a dog.

You need to show her the toybox and then explain to the granddaughters that if they do not put awy their toys Sophi will. Aren't puppies and grandkids fun

They are great. I feel bad for the 2 year old, Taylor, she just got done being a "playmate" for their dog, meaning "chew toy" and our dog is a little nippy cause she's at that stage. A toddler doesn't stand a chance, just old enough to get picked on by the playing pup. Taylor does know that Sophie listens better, so.thst makes us feel better.

I'm no dog expert, just know enough to keep them mostly in line and not hungry! But Laura suggested that I train her daughters dog. I would, if I knew they would spend the time with the dog that they don't spend now. It's a good dog, just needs some time spent with it working on a few things. It's a cute little furball.

Thats a good age to get them started. We rescued Tanner from our sons home when he was 8 months. They about starved him to death and had not spent much time teaching him anything. We were surprised he goes travel well. But nobody had taught him he was not the boss. He learnt some manners and has turnt out to be a pretty decent dog.

Puppyyyyyyyy !!!!! :) Welcome to FTO Sophie and congrats Mob ! She look's like she's going to grow up to be one hellava dog ! ;)

Glad you now have Sophie in your family again!
I'm so sorry to hear about Tashas' passing
Devastating to lose a cherished pet.
God bless and congratulations on your new addition to the family, Sophie

Back