• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need shifter help on 79 f-100

Lomax

Reaction score
My truck is a 4 speed in the floor and where the shifter connects to the linkage there is a metal/rubber bushing/gromment or dampener for vibration that is totally shot. I have been searching for a new one with no luck. I know this was a common issue so there has to be something out there but Im stuck. Any ideas on a fix or where to get a new one
-Will

I was just curious whether it was an OD. I will probably be in the same boat someday. I put a 4-speed overdrive in my '69 Ford. Mine has the separate shifter with the external linkage rods but, the shifter handle is mounted in rubber where it attaches to the shifter unit too. I haven't seen any parts or repair kits for these shifters advertised. I guess the best bet is to find another identical shifter on e-Bay or at the boneyards,etc. I was thinking it might be possible to use some rubber strips cut from a mudflap or something and make a metal clamp with two bolts to clamp around it, maybe even drill right through and put a bolt through it but, I don't know. From what I've been able to find out, the aftermarket 4-speed shifters (Hurst, Mr Gasket, etc.) supposedly will work with the cast iron cased overdrive transmissions if you flip the 3/4 shift lever upside down on the tranny. The aluminum cased overdrive transmissions have a built-in shifter so aftermarket shifters are not an option with them.

Last edited:
Back