• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

need help, lost keys

parker95

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I'm new here and I hope, this forum can help me.
I have lost my key from my 2020 Silverado, I contacted dealer and they quoted like $600. plus gotta tow the car there!!! This is way too expensive... Any cheaper solutions that anyone has come across maybe? Any advice highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hi again everyone,
I wanted to post an update about what I found out.

First, here is a great article with some ideas on how to find lost car keys.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU CALL FOR SERVICE:
How To Find Lost Car Keys - List Of Most Common Places, Tips & More

Hopefully, you wont need any service ;)

Now, here is what you should know before you make your decision.

There are 3 options to get a replacement key (for key fobs and transponder keys)
1.Call an automotive locksmith- the easiest and fastest and most chances, the cheapest as well. Here is the number I used for a company that work all around, give them a call and ask hopefully they have someone in your area: 800-223-1453. If not, try a few local locksmiths to get a quote from.
2.Tow the car to the dealer.
3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
Chevrolet Silverado Key Replacement. What To Do, Options, Costs & More

don’t forget to mention to them all these details to make sure they have the right key for you.
1.Year, make and model of the car
2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Now, maybe the most important thing, which is the cost
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models – very old keys around 1998 and older. Most chances not relevant to you.
Transponder chip keys – have hidden chip inside – so make sure the locksmith have the tools to program the key for you.
Remote Key fob – push to start – chances are that this is the type of key you have. Very common for most makes and models made after 2010 or so.
The average cost is somewhere between $220-$400. Of course, do your research, this is only relevant for what I checked!
Here is the link for some additional information:
2021 Car Keys Replacement Cost - Locksmith, Dealer, Online. Tips & More

don’t be lazy, believe me there is a huge difference between the dealer and locksmith. And, maybe the most important thing: ASK TO GET A SPARE KEY AS WELL!

Funny. Every August I make a trip to Ohio, same weekend every year, to the same campground. In another one of my interests I have a '78 Apache pop up camper. That weekend in August this campground (which is like 11 miles from the race way in Norwalk and about the same miles to Cedar Point in Sandusky. One of the other regulars bought a brand new Nissan 3/4 ton van (he has like 5 kids and usually has a couple of stragglers, friends of his kids) and a couple of us regularly give him shyt about his choice of brand. This past year he lost his key. One and only they had for this thing. And on a Saturday he had to have it towed (I forget how far, I thought it was ~30 miles) to a Nissan stealership so they could program a new key. The whole ordeal cost him like $500 not counting the brake line on the rear end that the tow driver ruined. I hate the SKIM key on my 2001 Durango with a passion..... but we have 2 or 3 for it. when I had to replace the ECM it wasnt just a "go to junkyard, find computer with same PN, plug in and drive away". No, it was find junkyard computer, send off and wait 2 weeks for it to be returned, programmed with my Vin within it. Nightmare PITA. I tried to plug n play with the junkyard computer and the 360 under the hood would start-and-quit-start-and-quit-repeat/ like an older Mopar with the only true symptom, of a bad ballast resistor.

Back