• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need Advice on How to Lower My D100

Dennyscars

Reaction score
Hi: I've been inquiring around town, trying to find a shop that will lower my '77 D100 three inches. Apparently there is no "kit" available like those for Ford and Chevy. Can I just install 3" shorter front springs and "flip" the rear leaf springs? I'd like to hear from someone who has lowered their Dodge truck or anyone else who has ideas. Thanks.

Denny

Lower control arm from a b van for the front or dropped dakota spindle . longer shackle and spring under the axle for the rear.As a start.

I’d do a little google searching about the 1 ton van lower arm swap. There are a couple detailed articles with pictures out there.

I did Dakota spindles and JDM lower control arms. Not sure if they still make them. Lowered about 5 inches in the front. You can see it in my thread.

BoostedLilRed, I Googled JDM and I don't find any specific info. All I see is that JDM means Japanese Domestic Market. Can you tell me exactly what kind of control arms will work and the same for the Dakota spindles? Thanks for any help.
Denny

B vans lca are nice with dakota dropped spindle. Just need holes to fix the sway bar dont forget to swap the big bolt/matching bushing.

These are what i have.
upload_2019-11-21_16-18-29.png

upload_2019-11-21_16-17-50.png

In my opinion they are overpriced. my first truck was lowered with B vans LCA and a rear axle flip still happy with the ride and the stance. New excentred bushing for the upper arms. like to get tubular control arm in the future. Went with dropped dakota spindle on my 73 d100 frame because of OEM front drum brakes????. Front disc brakes were so hard to find locally..

magum inside.jpg

mopar  lowering truck 029jpg.jpg

DAK SPINDLE  LEFT.jpg

DAK SPINDLE RIGHT.jpg

mopar loweredtruck 077.jpg

I assume these lowering kits are from Bell Tech. I talked to John, one of their tech advisers, who said NONE of their kits will work on a '77 D100. But that PU in your photos has the look I'm wanting.

Nope bought the dropped spindle and short front springs on fleebay motors. check the website Most of the parts used for lowering are standard/ OEM MOPAR parts. Disc brakes are from a 75 new yorker, Bearings from an early Dakota brakes calipers from a 76 D100. Strut rods from a B250 . Rear springs hangers and u bolts from a C body as well as rear shocks bought lowering shackles and spring perches from a friend of mine.... Just scrounge in your local swap meet you will find a lot of good spare for your lowering conversion. it what was done.

Last edited:
Just did mine. Went with the van lower control arm. Dropped about 2 inches. Did an axle flip on the rear. Replaced the 9 1/4 with 8.75. That dropped the rear about 4-5 inches. I need to raise the rear a bit to get the look I want. I could also go with 91-92 Dodge lowering springs since they are available. That would drop the front another 2-3 inches.

25810D1E-59CC-4555-8514-0DFDAAAA74C4.jpeg

B659753B-9A34-4DBD-A050-CEC967B3EF8A.jpeg

D4FABF76-6423-43F2-81E8-47F6A04AF59C.jpeg

D4A490DB-7CC6-4E85-B274-5856A3FF4DAF.jpeg

Dart4forte, like your truck, ‘78? Starting work on my ‘78, your truck similar to mine. I’m new at suspension changes, what year for van LCA? Anything else that needs to be changed when installing van LCA? Original height springs? Shocks stock length? I don’t plan on big drop, maybe 2” front and 4” rear.
Non-related questions about your truck - what size engine? Fuel cell? I noticed that gas tank filler is gone. If fuel cell, is it mounted between frame rails where spare tire is located? What size are tires?

Many thanks to all!

Dart4forte, like your truck, ‘78? Starting work on my ‘78, your truck similar to mine. I’m new at suspension changes, what year for van LCA? Anything else that needs to be changed when installing van LCA? Original height springs? Shocks stock length? I don’t plan on big drop, maybe 2” front and 4” rear.
Non-related questions about your truck - what size engine? Fuel cell? I noticed that gas tank filler is gone. If fuel cell, is it mounted between frame rails where spare tire is located? What size are tires?

Many thanks to all!

The LCAs are 73-79 van, dropped about 2”. Only other thing I did was freshen up the suspension.

The rear I did an axle flip, 9 1/4 went away for an 8 3/4. That dropped the rear 4-5 inches.

Relocated the tank to the rear. Used a universal Tanks Inc. 16 gallon tank

C8B4B84D-7B11-40EA-80AE-3E834F8D33E9.jpeg

Okay, fellows: thanks for all the input so far. I really appreciate it. I have a friend who builds hot rods and has agreed to lower my '77 D 100 if I can locate the correct spindles and lower control arms. So my question is: what year and model lower control arms will work to lower a '77 D 100? Also, I can't find drop spindles on eBay for this old a model. Bell Tech does not make them either. So any suggestions for the spindles?

Okay, fellows: thanks for all the input so far. I really appreciate it. I have a friend who builds hot rods and has agreed to lower my '77 D 100 if I can locate the correct spindles and lower control arms. So my question is: what year and model lower control arms will work to lower a '77 D 100? Also, I can't find drop spindles on eBay for this old a model. Bell Tech does not make them either. So any suggestions for the spindles?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...how-to-lower-your-1972-1993-dodge-pickup.html

Back