• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need advice (first truck). Ford - Dodge - Chevy

TruckNL

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first truck but I can't really decide which one, since I have zero experience with these kind off vehicles.

What am I looking for?
⚫ Manufacturing date up to 2006
⚫ Gasoline V8 engine (will be converted to Liquified Petroleum Gas if not already)
⚫ 4-seater
⚫ Towing capability up to 3500kg (Max overhere)

The truck will be used daily, both as private vehicle and workhorse. I've had a Cargo-Van before, the length and width of the cargo area is nearly the same as an 8 foot longbed. So I prefer a longbed, since I often needed all the cargo space.

I have been looking at
- 1st gen Chevy Avalanches
- 1st gen Cadillac Escalade EXT's
- 1st gen Chevy Silverado
- 2nd gen Dodge Ram
- Bricknose Ford
- OBS Ford

Are some of these trucks not worth it? Common problems? What to look for when buying one? please let me know.

Stick with the trucks, the Avalanche and EXT Escalade are truck like. They are on a Suburban chassis

I would recommend an early V8 Dakota ,(you might have to upgrade the suspension) ; but I really can't on account of the best they can do is an extended cab, only suitable for kids in the back.
The third gens could be had IIRC as 4-door shorts, but, I have never seen a Dakota 4-door long-box.
I had a 1992 5.2M/ auto/4x4, with 3.91s/ extended-cab/longbox (8footer).
I like Daks because the engines are simple, the transmissions nearly indestructible, and the rest of the truck is easy to work on. The 5.2Ms are great engines, and 5.9Ms are drop in replacements. I forget what year the overdrives came out, but by 92 they were the norm, as was MP-EFI. The little 5.2M with the Beer-Barrel intake, makes a ton of bottom-end torque, the compression ratio was in the 9s, and with the overdrive, the rear gear was usually a 3.91... meaning that they had ton's of take-off power. If you needed more, get one with a 4x4 that has a 2-speed transfer case, which doubles it. Unloaded it cruises 65 at about 2100 in loc-up, with 225/75-15 tires.
Good luck in your search.
BTW, mine was not very good on gas on account of most of my driving was around town, and the thing was a heavy tank!, lol.

I'm looking to buy my first truck but I can't really decide which one, since I have zero experience with these kind off vehicles.

What am I looking for?
So I prefer a longbed, since I often needed all the cargo space.

I have been looking at
- 1st gen Chevy Avalanches
- 1st gen Cadillac Escalade EXT's

Are some of these trucks not worth it? Common problems? What to look for when buying one? please let me know.
You say you are looking for a long bed, you do mean an full 8'bed correct? If so why are these first two vehicles on your list as they don't have much of a bed at all????

Back