• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need a little help please

1966post

Reaction score
So... I plan to put a 360 into my 1985 d150 factory /6 truck

I also have an all original 1982 W150 318 truck The drivers side frame mount on the 85 /6 truck seems to be quite a bit forward than than the 82 V8 truck
Anyone ever perform this swap? What is needed for motor mount brackets? if anything

Thank you

I would take what ever I need from the other truck, the V8 does use different mounts than the /6, I would research to make sure the mounts are the same from 2wd to 4wd though. Some other may able to give closer answers

Been to many years since doing a two to four wheel drive swap. But the years where totally different like 93 two wheel in to a 74 four wheel frame.

I put a 318 into a 79 that used to have a /6. I know the driver side mount between 318 and 360 are different but the rest of it would be the same as what you are looking to do.
For my latest /6 D150 (an 85) I have another /6 here, that I want to try and build up to basically what power a "stock-from 1985" 360 would have produced.... heck, around that time a 360 was "advertised" at only having like a 7.8:1 CR, and only 155-ish HP. 318s were only advertised at 120-130HP around then. shouldnt be hard at all to get that much from a slant.....

I figure the $ that I save by only having to buy 6 pistons instead of 8, bore 6 cyls instead of 8, pay to have 1 head machined instead of 2, not have to buy a V8 radiator or V8 trans or mounts, then a truck pan and pickup if the engine I get happens to have been from a car, is more $ that I could put into building a better /6....... we'll see. That said I have a couple of 318 and 360 Magnum cores around here plus a low mi motorhome 440 that my son left behind that I "could" put into that truck.... but Ive been down that "throw the /6 in a ditch and mount a V8" road before, this time I want to see what I can make a /6 do.

if that fails my 80 Volare actually surprised me with how it ran when it had a stock slant in it, that Volare was one the "toss the 6 and put an 8 into, instead" cars and trucks that I have had. If the winds up "not doing it for me" in the truck, I will probably just put that /6 into that car instead..... it definitely will not be any worse than it was when it had its stock slant in it........ the Volare is currently sitting with no powertrain in it at all.

First thing to do if you want to retain the /6 would be to ditch the electronics from the 85. Go back to the basic electronic ignition or an equal. I see no reason to build the 360 hp standards. The slant is a torque monger and always was. Just go back to pre snog spec's and have fun.

the lean burn is already gone.... kinda had to as this truck came to me with the worst job of electrical butchery that I have ever seen in my life. It was so bad that I had to go to a boneyard and get another underhood harness to start with. I wound up with one from an 84 360 powered 1 ton so the lean burn-ectomy was already done plug n play style. I then integrated an underhood fuse box from an early 90s square body Ranger into the original wiring harness from that 84 to eliminate all the fusible links. I now have everything that used to be fusible linked, going thru a MAXI fuse. Doesn't take up much space, and dont have to worry about finding "fusible link material" if I do have an issue.
Which I will say isnt often, but it has happened to me on past vehicles...... and that the part of the harness where the fusible links was extremely butchered on the original harness (and then some) as well as 2 blown/rigged fusibles on the replacement harness that I found..... these trucks are getting harder to find even in the boneyards around here so I had to use what I had available.
but I have a /6 in the machine shop as we speak..... I went looking for a Super 6 setup and it came with most of the rest of an engine in the deal, so why not...... the biggest surprise is finding that my truck actually came stock with a 727 instead of a 904/998 trans... Yeah I know the difference, and yeah teh 727 stays. I have burnt up plenty of "nasty 904s" behind V8s and here is a wimpy slant powered truck with a 727 in it.... especially surprising because my truck is basically a "MISER" edition from back then..... PS, PB, no AC, no slider window, etc.

I have an NOS (not "rebuilt") Carter BBD to go onto that Super 6 conversion, actually bought 2 of them--- other one went onto my kid's 80 slant powered step side. Came from a guy I see on the /6 forum all the time.... he had like 10 of them at one time. Now all gone. My replacement engine is also a forged crank version. It came to me with no pistons or rods, no biggie/ I would have to replace pistons after an overbore in a rebuild anyways. and I actually found a set of NOS rods from another guy on teh /6 site. I have a head that I am almost done porting and polishing, before I send it to the machine shop for O/S valves and touch up of my porting job, along with a shave. My cam is on the way to Oregon Cams for a regrind, and I bought some parts on here from a guy named "nitro rat" recently..... namely a Flow Kooler water pump and an old, old NOS Melling oil pump overhaul kit..... just found a double roller cam sprocket for a slant on Ebay yesterday, ( a member at the /6 and FABO put up an ad for a couple of those and I went to Ebay for grins and found one for less-- also brand new NOS from back in the day) I already have a Big Block double roller setup, the crank sprocket and chain are the same as those on a slant) so I'm well on the way there...... like I said, stock 80s 360 power isn't that far out of reach for a slant, that long stroke helps get there alot easier..... though I know I could do even more if I started with a 360 to begin with......but that too would take a rebuild to get anywhere with it. While this is in the works I am contemplating adding a blow thru, home brew turbo setup to the mix......... I have time to kick that one around, the idea is still up for debate.
and not yet.... not until I get the new engine built at least..... but the original slant (that still runs and drives, with slightly less than 100k orig miles on it) might wind up as up for sale..... that, like my turbo idea, is still to be determined.

I helped twin turbo a / some 45 years ago. Was told it was still running some 30 years later. Wish I had pictures of it but don't.
It replaced a 426 for insurance reasons.
Crazy that they didn't care about the / have more power than the Hemi it replaced.

Back