• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

motor build question

mopar426

Reaction score
idk if anyone knows about 440 bigblocks on here but i have a spare 440 that im wanting to build for the ramcharger and im lookin for some ideas for the build and help would be awsome

Personly barrett , I think you should drop the idea of building your 440 for your Ramcharger and sense I'm such a nice guy I'll take it off your hands for you for one of my trucks . LOL But seriously what do you plan on doing with the Ramcharger ? Is it gunna be a duell purpose rig , mudder , strickly off road it , mall pounder ,ect ? It would make a diference on what you do to it to work best for you and be happy .

lol everyone seems say that for some strange reason haha but its deff goin to see allot of mud but im goin to drive it on the street too. so i was thinkin about doin a 500 stroker out of it for the torque with a decent cam and nice head work but not sure

I ran a 500 CID B1 for years. With 500 cubes in a stock block you have to pour concrete in the bottom of the block to seal where you cut into the water jackets to clearance the rods.

Stroker is a good way to go if you want torque. These guys have what you need without losing a limb to afford it. the 440 source com

Hmm never heard anyone doin that when they did a stroker motor
Anything over 478 cubes gets concrete with a stock block. You can use a Indy Maxx block & not have to do it.
You'll want to do all you can in aluminum because that 440 with everything that it takes to use it reliably will easily add 300 pounds to the front of your RC.
You can build a 408 Magnum & do what you want without having to upgrade to D60's front & rear.& having a 1050 Carb to feed it.
Big Blocks are fun in mud racing I built one for a guy using a 478 Stage V with 2 stages of gas I forget what it ran but they moved him up to the Super Modified class after winning his class by a good margin. He didn't have enough $$$ to run the class right. He would have had to build a whole new truck

Don't take this the wrong way Barrett but sense your 19 , do you have the funds to build a stroker big block for it ? What year is the block your thinking about building ?

I would just stick a cheap RV cam in it with a good 4 barrel intake and be done with it on the cheap side.

the block is a 73 and the truck already has a 440 so the money issue isnt a big deal since i can build the motor whenever i have spare money for it and as far as the concrete deal the only clearence problems that i would have is with h beam rods and i would just have to clearance the bottom of the the cylinder walls and maybe inside the oil boss where the pickup tube screws in but thats just what i read from the 440 source web site

Personly I think "bremereric" is on the right track . With what you want to do with your truck , you don't need to build this big killer stroker motor for it . What I would do with the motor is maybe punch it out to say 30 over , get a decent set of piston's , Run something like an RV cam in it , and get the heads flowing a little better along with a decent set of headers , along with a good duel plane intake . You have to remember that your not building a light weight quarter mile car . Your building a heavy 4x4 truck and with a 4x4 truck you want to be more concerned about torque and bottom end rather then top end horse power . It don't take much to get more then enough torque and power out of a 440 and sometimes more is'nt allway's better . Save your money and do it like this and put any other money you save up towards axles and gears and such . And speeking of axles , If you don't go with 3/4 ton axles under it then you should concider swaping to the large bolt pattern set up . It's real ea. sy to do

Personly I think "bremereric" is on the right track . With what you want to do with your truck , you don't need to build this big killer stroker motor for it . What I would do with the motor is maybe punch it out to say 30 over , get a decent set of piston's , Run something like an RV cam in it , and get the heads flowing a little better along with a decent set of headers , along with a good duel plane intake . You have to remember that your not building a light weight quarter mile car . Your building a heavy 4x4 truck and with a 4x4 truck you want to be more concerned about torque and bottom end rather then top end horse power . It don't take much to get more then enough torque and power out of a 440 and sometimes more is'nt allway's better . Save your money and do it like this and put any other money you save up towards axles and gears and such . And speeking of axles , If you don't go with 3/4 ton axles under it then you should concider swaping to the large bolt pattern set up . It's real ea. sy to do

my block is already 30 over i started to build it for my 71 demon but i had to stop the build so all the block work is done just need some of the internal parts to be done but i wanted to do a stroker so the parts wont help me with that

I kinda agree with what these other guys are saying. I have never owned or rebuilt a 440 but I know plenty of guys who have. Just a personal observation I have made is you either have to go big with them or go home. Seems like you can dump a lot of money into them for such few gains. Your already starting with a big engine. Get a decent cam, intake and carb and get it tuned out right and make it a nice strong runner. You will have so much more money to put into things your 4x4 rig is going to need more in my opinion like tire, suspension, gears or axles, or whatever else. High HP and torque are nice but its going to do shit for you if the rest of your rig doesn't have what it needs to mud or offroad with.

my block is already 30 over i started to build it for my 71 demon but i had to stop the build so all the block work is done just need some of the internal parts to be done but i wanted to do a stroker so the parts wont help me with that

So are you saying you have all the stroker stuff already?

I kinda agree with what these other guys are saying. I have never owned or rebuilt a 440 but I know plenty of guys who have. Just a personal observation I have made is you either have to go big with them or go home. Seems like you can dump a lot of money into them for such few gains. Your already starting with a big engine. Get a decent cam, intake and carb and get it tuned out right and make it a nice strong runner. You will have so much more money to put into things your 4x4 rig is going to need more in my opinion like tire, suspension, gears or axles, or whatever else. High HP and torque are nice but its going to do shit for you if the rest of your rig doesn't have what it needs to mud or offroad with.

thats a good point and i just some syuff for a factory spec motor

A set of those with a set of 452 heads milled .030 should give you a 9to1easy if not just a little more. RV cam & all of the above suggestions for the stock build. Lighten your front with a aluminum radiator & anything else you can do to lose weight

Back