• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Manual gearbox on Ram D séries ?

Tof

Reaction score
Hi all ,

well , on my D150 with the 318ci i have the standard Tf727 and this is my question : what is the standard manual gearbox on this model ?

Currently i see the A833 on the majority of Mopar car but on the pickup what is the standard en manual ?

Cordially .

More then likely it would be the A833 style but it would be the three speed with fourth being an over drive . Just curious , What year truck do you have ? Any picture's ?

I almost forgot . Welcome to the site Cordially !

It depends. Some of the trucks got the 833 (overdrive), mostly d100 'fuel miser' and some d150s. But what I find to be more common in my area is the NP435, which is standard top loader with a granny first. It's a big clunky unit that can pull down a house, but isn't very effective to speed shift... So it depends upon what your goal is with the truck, as to which trans you will want.

I agree with what "demuision" said . There were two reason's why I said the A833 unit over the top loader NP435 . From what I've seen in this area is the half ton two wheel drive trucks with the 318's normally have the over drive unit and the slant six half tons and the three quarter tons as well as the 4x4's have the top loader with the granny gear . The second reason was that it sounded like you were considering a swap and the over drive unit would probably be the easiest and the best one to do . That's in my opinion of course . Unless your building a stump puller or something ? lol That granny gear is looooow . lol

If your truck has a floor shift and reverse stick position is to the left and up (moving the lever forward), then it's the overdrive transmission. If it's to the left and down, it's the NP435 (the NP standing for manufacturer New Process). The 435 came in two versions. One had the 4 gear ratios decreasing numerically in a more or less normal fashion (4.56, 2.3, 1.3 and 1:1 or something like that). An optional 435 had the three lower gears with numerically higher ratios (can't remember the ratios right now) which left a larger "gap" between 3rd and 4th. My '74 D300 has the optional version. With a 4.88 rear axle, 1st gear is only good for about 6-7 mph tops. While not that handy on paved roads, when fully loaded with grain in a soft field or climbing out of a quarry with 5 tons of gravel, that very high ratio 1st is a life saver and greatly reduces clutch wear. Also available was a NP445, which was pretty much the same thing as the 435 except it had a longer tail extension and was sycronized in all 4 gears, rather than only 2-4 in the 435. This meant you didn't have to come to a complete halt or do some fancy double clutching to get into first gear.

I think you missed it "bikinkawboy" , He's running an automatic right now .

You're right bear, I guess I honed in on the keywords you, Tof and demulsion used such as "fuel miser" (the manual overdrive tranny used in '78), NP435 and "what is the standard manual transmission." My mistake.

Yes you are the best .

In oem there is the Np435 for truck utility and A833 for street ok ...... my vector for my D150 is 100% street with one A833 in the futur thanks !4

You gave a lot of good information on the NP435 though .
You're right bear, I guess I honed in on the keywords you, Tof and demulsion used such as "fuel miser" (the manual overdrive tranny used in '78), NP435 and "what is the standard manual transmission." My mistake.

Another thing you'll have to keep in mind if your considering this swap is the transmission tunnel . The NP435 is a lot bigger then the A833 . Allso the shifter location , the shifter with the top load will be coming out forward and almost under your dash were as the A833 will be back and to the side of the tunnel .
Yes you are the best .

In oem there is the Np435 for truck utility and A833 for street ok ...... my vector for my D150 is 100% street with one A833 in the futur thanks !4

As for the transmission tunnel, the larger one used on the 435 and 4-wheel drives is a separate piece that bolts to the floor over an opening cut into the floor. 2 wheel drives don't have the opening already cut out, although the creases where the cut out is are already there. In coverting my 2-wheel drive into a 4, I still have to cut the hole into the cab floor.

The 435 does have the shift lever protrude out the top, but the shift lever is contorted in such a manner that it's not an issue as with my D300. One thing that may or may not be an issue is the length of the drive shaft. Conventional cab 2 wheel drive automatic transmissions have a long extension housing at the rear, which allows the use of a single, long, large diameter (4 inch?) drive shaft. I believe the extended cab automatic models used a tranny with a short extension and a smaller diameter double drive shaft with a carrier bearing between. The NP435 is shorter in length, which will likely need a double drive shaft unless you have a short wheelbase conventional cab, which may make it possible to use a single drive shaft. Can't say for sure about that.

Incidentlly, the 1970's and early 80s (at least) 4 wheel drives used short extension automatic transmissions, which made room for the transfer case.

I hate to correct you "bikinkawboy" but it sounds like your saying that all the trucks with the 435 and four wheel drives had transmission tunnels that unbolted from the floor . That's not true . The bolted in transmission tunnels stopped in 78 . The factory stick trucks did have the larger four wheel drive tunnels but after 79 they were part of the floor ( welded in ) . If you had a truck with the 833 style transmission you had a plastic hump that screwed onto the side of the tunnel were the shifter came threw .

Back