• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking for a cheap truck

Dakota1820

Reaction score
I am planning to spend around $3500 for a truck preferably 4x4. I am torn on what to look for I've owned early 90's chevys they've actually left me on the side of the road more times than any bother make. But when they worked they worked well.
I've had a couple of old fords to most were used up and beat up pretty good so maybe not an accurate representation. And I have had one dodge my 95 that was my grandpas my uncle got it when she died and then 6 years later I got it. I've had it about 8 years it's never let me down. That being said the bed has holes in it I've replaced the front cab mounts and the interior just disintegrates.
It's also only a 2wd.
All that being said I'm torn on what to buy. What truck would you seek out for $3500 or so? First gen rams look cool how are they to own? I can find 9th and 10th gen ford's around me as well.
Let me know what you think. Pros and cons ect.

Hey Dakota, what you need is a rust free short box two wheeler that has a nascar history. fix it back up to its former glory or maybe slam it with a hellcat motor etc..
just saying. maybe a 2001, red, heluva platform to start with.

Guessing from his post and said budget I highly doubt he is looking for a rat rot mosnter project. He is looking for a cheap truck he can throw plugs and wires at and hopefully keep running.

99 and up GM that are LS powered are good, Fords that are 4.6 and 5.4 2V motors are decent, 3V motors can have big issues if not well maintained. Dodge 5.2 and 5.9's are good, 4.7 is ok, Hemi is good

ease up canada....dont think he's on foot.
5.2's(318) is one of the most reliable motors ever produced and you can build them to the hilt. 5.9's(360 c.i) are very reliable too(same block as the 5.2) but tend to drink the gas.
4.7's are junk. they were a "new" design in the chrysler corral that didnt pan out, and chrysler dropped the motor because of reliability issues. Steer clear! the hemis are decent. good power, reliable but the first ones didnt pass up many gas stations.
the V6's were also pretty decent (mopar).had many with no complaints and no regrets.
Steer clear of "full time 4WD's" of the mid 70's to early 80's(Dodge) the wear and tear will eat you up. I assume chevy is the same. ford i think had hubs on the majority....

the 94 and up 1/2 ton dodge manuals tended to be a little "light-duty",due to the demand of those pickups. the manufacturer bought every transmission they could find to put in them. they were ok as long as you didnt use them as pickups.
A mid 90's half ton dodge 4wd with an automatic would be my suggestion. sporty,reliable and you can get any and every part you ever wanted for them. they made tons of them and theres a lot available on the market. Cheers🍻

I agree my 79 318 ran forever. It would just stall out when you hit the gas from a stop. Rev in neutral and slam into drive, did that for yeeeaars.

What I was saying was in teference where somebody suggested a hellcat build when the guys budget was $3500.

I inow when I shop trucks around that price I'm hoping to just keep them alive. Not sure what else you can do on $3500.

Back