• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

longer rear shackles for leveling

85crewcabbie

Reaction score
After reviewing the lowering/leveling discussions on here I find I need a clarification before modding my '87 D150. The most detailed thread stated they used the 1-2" drop shackles from a 88-98 Chevy c 10 and modified them. Has anybody tried the same part for a pre '88 c 10 or something else that works better and or requires less or no modification? All I want to do is level the rear and not lower the truck.

Possibly with respect to cost. But there's a fair amount of work involved in removing the shock plates and u-bolts to get at the leaf stack bolt. And if I take a leaf out, load capacity is down. Worse, I may have to do this job several times before I get to a near level stance as I'm not smart enough to know which leaf to remove first to get the level ride height I seek. For what I want I'm convinced the extended (lowering/leveling) shackle is the way I want to proceed. So which shackle to use? I did think there would be more responses. I guess the axle flip for a really low truck is done more often.

A change in shackle lenght will change pinion angle. Not a good thing. If you are worried about load capacity a longer shackle will reduce axle to frame clearence. May not be a good thing eather. That and while loaded the noise will stick up that much more.

Agree on pinion angle. Better kits come with shims for just this reason. I'll have to look at the options you suggested. I'm in no rush as I just bought the truck and I still have plenty of work to make it a dependable driver. So I'll leave the post up in the hope someone can answer my specific question regarding the easiest applicable kit to use.

After the last post. Have you considered removing all the secondary springs and installing bags. Ride height can be made what you want when you want it. With no change the suspension component angles.

Back