• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Line boring

Reaction score
Id like to get a couple of opinions on line boring, at this point I guess Im gonna assume that when I had the machine work done to the block that nothing was done to check the main alignment. I didnt pay for it, I assumed that it was part of the package of checking things over.

Im now thinking it wasnt.

Ive mocked up the engine with the crank installed and not torquing down caps, crank spins freely I guess, I plan to plastigauge things when I put them back together the final time.

How critical is it that I should have had this done. 440 cast crank engine.

Should I bring the 440 back to them and have them check it? How do they check it? Something I can do myself?

Ive got a 340 there now, should I tell them to do something with that. They are honing cylinders, installing cam bearings ect.

Some guys say it should be done and others not so much, Im not planning to push the rev limiter with it. Just a low RPM torque engine, dont want to throw money down the crapper on something that isnt necessary but on same token dont want to cut corners either,

Many engines have been built that ran forever without doing a line bore, but nowadays it seems everyone wants to squeeze the last bit of HP out of every build. If you want the most durable longest lasting engine possible and are going to run the 440 over 500 horses and/or flog it on the track or perhaps get into a power adder setup or other extreme build then you're pissing money away by not doing it. Unless you have a complete and extensive home machine shop you can't do it at home and I'm guessing not since a shop is doing the work you listed. Myself, if I was getting extreme, even to the point of doing a stroker build I would want it done but for a stockish build that's going to be going down the road in a more respectable (legal) manner I wouldn't spend the money. Of course, this from a guy that's never built an all out engine nor rodded the bejesus out of one other than an occasional full throttle blast on an empty highway so take it for what it's worth.

Side note, have built 360's and 383's for my use and both still run fine w/over 100K since build although they do use some oil now.......

On another note...... I had no problems changing out a rear main seal while yours was a whole 'nother ball game....... so I'm thinking as with all of this shtuff it comes down to YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Last edited:
Line honing isn't necessary for what your gonna do, slap an engine together and drive it. Not race it or anything like that, just drive it and have some fun. That's what I've done and it's worked ok for me. So far.

Not all shops can do line honing, and as @Polara_500 said do you need it? I'm not going to do it on my driver engines I build, but will on a race engine.

IF it were me..... your using it just to drive and have fun, don't toss your money at the machinist to do it. the engine will last without it as mentioned, NOW if your gonna race that engine then YES line bore it. it makes each bore line up and get the engine to roll smoothly at high RPM's!!!

Your using it as an everyday driver, I wouldn't worry about it as that engine will probably never see the RPM's of a race engine, in your regular everyday driving habits....

Listen to what there saying . There right and this is coming from some who "has" built both driver and HP motors . Just my two cents .

I have thought about Line Boring the ole 383 in my truck..... to make it roll better (might gain 5 HP from it, or less) A lot of guys liner bore after they stroke the engine..... SO being a stock crank, and all I'm not sure it would need it....

BUT on my 383 the reason I was thinkin' to line bore with a plate, was to be able stroke it a little more, later on.... BUT the cost? I kept my engine as-is for now, maybe someday! Someday, just isn't today!

I have thought about Line Boring the ole 383 in my truck..... to make it roll better (might gain 5 HP from it, or less) A lot of guys liner bore after they stroke the engine..... SO being a stock crank, and all I'm not sure it would need it....

BUT on my 383 the reason I was thinkin' to line bore with a plate, was to be able stroke it a little more, later on.... BUT the cost? I kept my engine as-is for now, maybe someday! Someday, just isn't today!
For what your doing with your truck , Why even think about stroking it ? There's nothing wrong with a 383 B block with the right parts in it . Just my two cents ( Once again lol ) .

Well just to have something a little more I guess..... just to "feel" it from the same engine factory to the truck and a little engine compared you know? I man, that 383 I have is getting like 300 HP or VERY CLOSE,m but its pushing I bet almost 500 ft lbs, if not more!

The 383 as a muscle car engine was getting 335 HP and 425 ft lbs.... So, I KNOW the way its built from the factory I'm getting less HP but more ft lbs! -Wouldn't mind getting around 400 HP and over 500 ft lbs is all...... Just thinkin' up things I "could" do, more or less dreaming right now, but it be cool you know? I mean look at what ya doin' with your 440..... Same basic concept, BUT I want keep things semi-stock, with mere bolt ones and in's (however you want to look at it), but NOT notch the block, (to stroke it) and not bore anything out, but go just below the maximum stroke BEFORE special machine work would need done and balance the rotating kit in it, and maybe up the compression just a tad would go a long ways!

Well just to have something a little more I guess..... just to "feel" it from the same engine factory to the truck and a little engine compared you know? I man, that 383 I have is getting like 300 HP or VERY CLOSE,m but its pushing I bet almost 500 ft lbs, if not more!

The 383 as a muscle car engine was getting 335 HP and 425 ft lbs.... So, I KNOW the way its built from the factory I'm getting less HP but more ft lbs! -Wouldn't mind getting around 400 HP and over 500 ft lbs is all...... Just thinkin' up things I "could" do, more or less dreaming right now, but it be cool you know? I mean look at what ya doin' with your 440..... Same basic concept, BUT I want keep things semi-stock, with mere bolt ones and in's (however you want to look at it), but NOT notch the block, (to stroke it) and not bore anything out, but go just below the maximum stroke BEFORE special machine work would need done and balance the rotating kit in it, and maybe up the compression just a tad would go a long ways!
You cans till do that with your 383 without strolling it . You just got to dot he right things and use the right parts . I built a small block for the 78 Ramcharger I had that had more then enough torque to pull a tree down ( It did by the way lol ) and more then enough horsepower to buggie down the highway and all this with full time four and 3;55's in the axles . Hell I even got 17 MPG in that rig . Youj ust got to build it right . What your doing and what I'm doing with the Warlock is the same but not . I'm building mine to go fast . You don't build a 4x4 to go fast . You It build it to be a beast . You deffinetly need to up your compression though . That's just for starters .

You cans till do that with your 383 without strolling it . You just got to dot he right things and use the right parts . I built a small block for the 78 Ramcharger I had that had more then enough torque to pull a tree down ( It did by the way lol ) and more then enough horsepower to buggie down the highway and all this with full time four and 3;55's in the axles . Hell I even got 17 MPG in that rig . Youj ust got to build it right . What your doing and what I'm doing with the Warlock is the same but not . I'm building mine to go fast . You don't build a 4x4 to go fast . You It build it to be a beast . You deffinetly need to up your compression though . That's just for starters .
Totally agree with Bear. The only reason to go fast in a 4x4 would be to brake parts and look foolish or is it look foolish and brake parts.

Yes guys this is true. but to UP my torque that I'm already getting, Its gonna UP the HP too!

I'm working out a deal on this thing to be a camper haulin' beast, with one in the BED and one tailing behind..... With ability to haul 8 people legally anywhere in the USA well......

I just want to feel the power without looking at the 18 foot flat bed behind me loaded with TWO Ford F250's "King Ranches" & 6000 pounds of other scrap metal as I go off to the scrap yard..... -LITERALLY (I have just recently done this!) Both trucks were my Step sons, and he killed 'em both, bye bye 6.4L Noisestrokes..... I mean I CAN feel the torque, no doubt, because of the weight on the truck, but the HP is a bit of a struggle.....

Then that weekend I go playin' and seem to have found a leak in my rear differential front seal.... Never fails.... Do something worth while... and then go play & something gets broke! LOL

I do plan to balance the engine rotating kit at some point, Its down right now but when I redo the truck (I plan to actually paint it in the next year) I will up the compression, as I want to do that anyway, with different pistons (I want to keep the water cool heads, ain't NOTHING like 'em), but they're open chambered heads...... Which means I need to put taller pistons under them and bring the bottom up instead of the top down as then, the heads need changed and I'd need a whole other intake too.... At this rate all I need to up the compression is a set of taller pistons! And replacing those, I may as well balance the crank and all that too as I have to drop the whole bottom end anyway.... So I'd be basically rebuilding the bottom end! I'm NOT sure if I kept the pistons it has if they're are rods that are longer, and would work on that engine or not, as the pistons because of the open chambered heads, I'd be safer with the new pistons and original rods I do believe!

If that was what I would be expecting it to do every time it left the yard a gas engine would be the last thing in mind. A desiel would be way more fitting.

I gotta jump in on the diesel thing here for a moment. I know it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. Nothing will ever be cooler, period. But after going through the local Mopar show (which was a great time) it rubbed my the wrong way. I saw some cool trucks that had a diesel swap done, and talked to a few owners who were going to swap one in. One guy works with diesel trucks, so that made sense, but most just wanted to be that "look at me" guy. I saw a sweet looking 4x4 Warlock chugging around. Old faded paint and big tires, but something wasn't right about the chug a lug of it. One truck I got all giddy about was a crew cab Power Wagon, the real deal from the 40's-50's. Chugging along too. But vs the original 6 popper, I can totally justify putting on in for reliability and it probably fit pretty good. But it's like parachute pants in the 80's and Brittany Spears in the 90's. They got old, fast. I don't see the point of a diesel if your not hauling crap all the time. Plus with the Biofuels, you have to burn that crap up or you've got alge in your tank. (Thanks government a holes) But the trucks were cool, and I don't own them so it doesn't matter in the long run. Rent over, I'll load a pic of the Power Wagon soon.

For me gasohol is the only way. I thought about a Cummins 6.7L or if found a 5.9L but I like my gasoline engine, that 383 is the bomb. AND its a matching #'s truck and would like to keep it that way! NOT because of value, but because its simply unheard of these days...... The engine block is one thing, to keep original, BUT the interior, well thats got nothing to do with #'s.... Except those output #'s..... Things can be changed and remain #'s matching interior-wise of the engine I have.....

This is all just thoughts tho guys. nothing is set in stone, not even repainting it!!!! So....

I gotta jump in on the diesel thing here for a moment. I know it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. Nothing will ever be cooler, period. But after going through the local Mopar show (which was a great time) it rubbed my the wrong way. I saw some cool trucks that had a diesel swap done, and talked to a few owners who were going to swap one in. One guy works with diesel trucks, so that made sense, but most just wanted to be that "look at me" guy. I saw a sweet looking 4x4 Warlock chugging around. Old faded paint and big tires, but something wasn't right about the chug a lug of it. One truck I got all giddy about was a crew cab Power Wagon, the real deal from the 40's-50's. Chugging along too. But vs the original 6 popper, I can totally justify putting on in for reliability and it probably fit pretty good. But it's like parachute pants in the 80's and Brittany Spears in the 90's. They got old, fast. I don't see the point of a diesel if your not hauling crap all the time. Plus with the Biofuels, you have to burn that crap up or you've got alge in your tank. (Thanks government a holes) But the trucks were cool, and I don't own them so it doesn't matter in the long run. Rent over, I'll load a pic of the Power Wagon soon.
So tell us what you really think Mob ! :) lol Seriously though , I understand what your saying . I like my gas engine's too . I've had this discussion with some friends of mine that keep telling me to go diesel . And I do plan on a Cummins swap at some pint . But it'll be in either a 77/78 club or crew cab tow vehicle or maybe if I ever build a Dodge version of the Chevy Suburban . But that's about it . My friends are always telling me about how much power they got as well as there great fuel mileage there getting with there diesel's and the way to go . But then I tell them about the next small block ( gas motor ) that I have planned out . It'll be a good lil work truck motor with roughly about 400 horse , very good torque , and be getting about 20 plus MPG . Plus I'll be paying less per gallon at the pumps then they do now for these diesel . So I tell them do the arithmetic and they normally have nothing to say but , but . lol . I say to each his own , just as long as your keeping these rig's alive and have fun doing it . Not just because it's the latest thing .

I'll amend my rant just a little. I don't like to see diesels in something that didn't have them. But I'll quit my bitching, cause I want to make a truck with stuff it didn't have. Some of them are pretty cool, actually. I just don't want to see everything end up with a diesel in it. Rant done.

Back