• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

La 318 to 46re trans

dingus45

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. I have to get rid of one of my rams and I don't want the work I have done to both of them to go to waist. So I was wondering if an LA 318 from 85 would bolt up to a 97 46re transmission. Reason being is the 85 is manual and has more body damage than I would like to explane. I have built the 318 just a hair running maybe 210hp. And the magnum 360 is getting worn out the better of the two is the 97 1500. I know it would be best to find a trans to bolt up to the LA but I was just wondering if someone has done this before or would know if it would bolt up. I don't think the transmission runs off of electronics but any advice I will take. Thanks yall

I figured it out. Won't work wrong bellhousing shape. Bolt holes don't line up

Would not have thought that. The new hemi will bolt to an old 727, so this sounds strange.

I didn't measure it out but I didn't think it would but I also forgot that the 46re trans is computer controlled so I don't think it would work without the magnum engine in it. Unless you know of a way?

1438883228805-883223096.jpg

I am not sure what controler are on the engine that could not be adapted to the 318. The trans has its own and the computer is all ready there.

The engine controllers other than maybe vacuum should not have any affect on transmission functions. About all transmission functions are controlled between it and the computer from what research i have done and your is all ready there. I am not positve but balancing of the torqueconverter maybe the only real obstical.

I know on the fuelinjected 318 they don't have a weighted flywheel apposed to the 360 which are due to the way the engines are balanced but I think the 318s are internally balanced? Thanks for the help 7mopar.

Back