• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just scored this diamond from Southern, Colorado! 9' Utiline bed on it

72D3001TON

Hoarding trucks and running out of places to store
Reaction score
1972 Dodge D300 1-ton Utiline 9' bed. Has a 400/727/Dana 60 full floating differential, but not sure of gear ratio, yet. I haven't ever seen one of these before now with the 9' bed and the fact it has zero rust on it is amazing. It is a California truck, so, very nice sheet metal minus a couple surface spots on lower fenders (typical) and a small area on driver front floor due to leaking wiper pivot seal.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

thumbnail_image6.jpg

thumbnail_image7.jpg

thumbnail_image8.jpg

thumbnail_image9.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid. My dad worked at a federal research place out on LINY and they had a whole fleet of those things. They also ran them on all different kinds of fuels. Sometimes If my dad needed a truck for the weekend project he would bring one home. I miss those days RIP pops. Very cool and very rare truck

Opinions wanted as I'm thinking of what to do on the interior. My thoughts are to pull the dash out and have it painted tan (along with metal door panels). Dye the plastic dash top along with glove box door to match. Then, have the bench seat wrapped in cowhide leather and add a Tuff wheel. Truck will remain all white, but will likely be Cadillac Pearl white inside and out. I'll remove and replace the wood bed with stained oak. I've already located the 'Dodge' decal for the tailgate.

I'm stuck on wheels, though. It is staying 8-lug (8-6.5) 1-ton setup, I just need to decide on running newer Dodge 2500/3500 wheels or going aftermarket...thoughts?

WOW WOW!
My guess is it has 4.10 gears as my 75 D200 highway dept truck did.
Well, not mine, but the one I drove at MODoT.

I still can't believe it. Even on the front floors where the wiper pivots leaked it only has surface rust. I can easily hit that with a wire brush and put POR-15 on it to seal it then paint over it. Same for bottoms of fenders. Bed is practically free of any kind of rust other than where chains hang (just surface and discoloration).

Really solid. I've never seen that bed style on one of these. Super cool!

The nine ft beds with flat top rails are not easy to find. I had to find one for my 1960 W200 after someone removed the original Took a while.

I'm stuck on wheels, though. It is staying 8-lug (8-6.5) 1-ton setup, I just need to decide on running newer Dodge 2500/3500 wheels or going aftermarket...thoughts?
If you find a set of newer take offs that you like, grab 'em I haven't looked at aftermarket truck rims since the went to 24's for one ton duallys, just not my thing. Plus I'm old school, I bought a set of 8 lug slots as soon as my friend said he was selling them. Got them for a heck of a deal.

Back