• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Introducing FTO's Newest Member: Wayne D Price

DeltaDart

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Reaction score
A Mopar guy considering a pickup purchase. I am an old man, but I don't have a hat. I am not loyal to any pickup brands. I don't intend to tow anything. Just need a full size bed and good fuel economy for daily commuting to/from work. Dependability and reliability are important... aerospace engineer.

When you say full size bed are you talking 8ft or is 6.5ft ok? Extended cab, 4dr cab, regular cab? What's your expectation on fuel mileage?

When you say full size bed are you talking 8ft or is 6.5ft ok? Extended cab, 4dr cab, regular cab? What's your expectation on fuel mileage?

8 ft preferred, but I might consider 6.5 ft. Regular cab preferred. Above 20 mpg. My commute is approximately 44 miles per day and 40 of it is driven at 55 mph with 4 traffic signals per trip.

The F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost gets pretty good mileage, GM with active fuel will get over 20 on the highway

Welcome from NJ. I would just buy a small, cheapo car to save gas and put minimal insurance on it for commuting. It pays for itself and gives you something to fall back on if the truck gets laid up. That's what I have always done. Then I'd get me a monster for a truck! Seeing as how you are in coastal Ga, you don't have to contend with snow and crap. I have always been loyal to Mopars as I like them the best and I don't like having to stock all kinds of other manufacturers parts. Don't get me wrong, I like them all. However, not one of them will build a truck to my specs. As you probably know, you can't get a manual shift in this model, or a standard cab with that package or with 4wd on that one. The ram has the rambox which I like but only in certain sizes. I don't trust the new 8 & 9 speed auto transmissions as they cost more to repair than I paid for my whole 19 year old Dodge! Things were better long ago when you could order any combo of engine, trans, interior color, axel ratio, etc... All of the manufacturers would only be too happy to sell one model only. Like Henry Ford said, you can any color you want as long as it's black!

Back