• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

I want to lower my 86 D100.

Wildcat79

Reaction score
Any Ideas? I can not seem to find a kit anywhere online..... Plenty for chevy and plenty for ford but none for dodge....

Eatin' Fords and Crappin' Chevys
1st Truck just turned 16 and can't
wait til school starts to show it off

Last edited:
How much do you want to lower it? If you get lower control arms from the same generation Ram Van and use your stock coil springs, it lowers it 3" if I remember correctly. Now for the rear, you can get longer leaf spring shackles, but that is only good for 1-2" maybe. Or get the leaf springs de-arched, that would be the best solution.

@JGC403 - I've been looking for drop spindles and like Wildcat not much out there. Have you done this van parts swap before and know it works, or is it something you saw in an article that is more of a maybe/possibility. These parts are easy to get from old vans here, are inexpensive, and would move my project along quickly if your info is correct.

No I haven't done it. Just read about it on hear I think. I will try and find the thread.

Here you go. It was over on Dodge Forum. Its a good write up pretty detailed. Requires some modifications. But looks like it is the cheapest, best, and pretty much only way to go.

Link: Scroll down to post #15
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/90991-ram-1st-gen-do-it-yourself-information-2.html

Quoted from link:
"There is another option that is very simple, engineered by the factory, and is cost effective. Go to the junkyard and find a 1972-1993 Dodge B-series van and unbolt the lower control arms. Just swapping the van's lower control arms onto your 1972-1993 Dodge half ton truck lowers it roughly 3" due to the fact that the van lower control arms have a spring pocket that allows the coil springs to sit lower than they do in the truck's stock lower control arms. No shock or spring change is needed. It doesn't matter if it is a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or 1 ton van. The van lower control arms are the same. I purchased a pair from a mid 80's B350 for $40 plus tax at my local Pull-A-Part."

Last edited:
How much do you want to lower it? If you get lower control arms from the same generation Ram Van and use your stock coil springs, it lowers it 3" if I remember correctly. Now for the rear, you can get longer leaf spring shackles, but that is only good for 1-2" maybe. Or get the leaf springs de-arched, that would be the best solution.

cool and thanks I got the lower control arms and will see if it works, prob will..... and I will then try the rear.... Let you know how it goes.....

@JGC403 - Thanks for the effort to look this up and the provided link. It doesn't look very difficult at all. Headed to the junk yard tomorrow.

I lowered mine using Van LCA's & a axle flip in the rear
IMG_20150517_120838_zps8twgsc7w.jpg

This RC the same
SAM_0269_zpsc6ee9dc5.jpg

You can use 88-96 Dodge Dakota dropped spindles too

Hey DodgeAddict,

Did you use B300 van LCA's or B100's? I hear the B100's drop the truck ~2" but the B300's drop it ~3.5".

Hey DodgeAddict , I still wish you would do a "how too" thread on this subject . It's become a common question and as far as I'm concerned "you'd be the man" when it comes to dropping these trucks . ;)

How hard is the axle flip? Do you have to weld anything? Right now I don't have access to a welder. Also on the front I was told you can buy shortened coil springs and that will lower it in the front. Would that work? I am calling a place on Tues. to confirm if I can buy these type of coil springs.

How hard is the axle flip? Do you have to weld anything? Right now I don't have access to a welder. Also on the front I was told you can buy shortened coil springs and that will lower it in the front. Would that work? I am calling a place on Tues. to confirm if I can buy these type of coil springs.
You will be making a bid mistake messing with different springs as it makes a mess of suspension geometry. Follow one of the methods above and you will be OK.

I don't know where I saw it but 91-96 dak spindles will drop it, how much I don't know, well I guess I don't know much do I.

Back